Venison Bone Broth

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finally got around to breaking down my archery whitetail from this fall, and decided to save the bones and try my hand at making bone broth.

That stuff turned out awesome! 10 hours of femur, water, onions, salt, pepper and apple cider vinegar in the crockpot = tasty cup of goodness.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife would drink bone broth during pregnancy. I think she got it from the co-op in town. Apparently it prevents stretch marks.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made broth with moose femur and it was lights out. Good stuff, don't waste them!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finally got around to breaking down my archery whitetail from this fall, and decided to save the bones and try my hand at making bone broth.

That stuff turned out awesome! 10 hours of femur, water, onions, salt, pepper and apple cider vinegar in the crockpot = tasty cup of goodness.
So you froze it whole or quartered? How do you do that without freezer burn? Do you thaw it, debone and refreeze? Never heard of this being done. Can't think it would be good for meat quality.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did it once by accident and the results were awesome. I quarter it and keep as much fat/silver skin on as possible. Then I pack it with snow and keep it in my big cooler outside until I have time to process it.

When it comes time to cut it up, I trim the outer covering off. Since I make mostly steaks, I never fully thaw the meat. I like the extra firmness for cutting. Since it is in the insulated cooler and the snow is its main cool source, it never hits that "Deep freeze" cold. My thought is that it acts like a delayed dry aging process. The meat turns out tender and delicious.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did it once by accident and the results were awesome. I quarter it and keep as much fat/silver skin on as possible. Then I pack it with snow and keep it in my big cooler outside until I have time to process it.

When it comes time to cut it up, I trim the outer covering off. Since I make mostly steaks, I never fully thaw the meat. I like the extra firmness for cutting. Since it is in the insulated cooler and the snow is its main cool source, it never hits that "Deep freeze" cold. My thought is that it acts like a delayed dry aging process. The meat turns out tender and delicious.
Interesting, thanks for the info.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great topic! Any bone broth, chicken, beef, venison, whatever.....is very good for you. It is the equivalent of natural glucosamine when your joints hurt. Think of all the value in that cartilage, marrow and bone. It is great for the skin also.

To gauge if you are boiling your bones long enough, let if cool in the fridge overnight, the more gelatinous it gets the better. I usually boil 8 hours. Never waste your bones. I like to dump my broth into ziplock bags, freeze it and use it for soup or sauces, later on. It's also great to cook your rice in or thicken it into your stir fry veggies.

- - - Updated - - -

Also learn the difference between broth and stock. We are talking about making stock technically since we are using bones.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleyes, thanks! I just looked that up. What I made is delicious, gelatinous, fatty stock!

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walleyes, thanks! I just looked that up. What I made is delicious, gelatinous, fatty stock!

Eat'er up. Eat and cook like they did 200 years ago and you'll be a fit sumbitch. Don't forget about organ meats, that is damn good for you too. If you order a beef, tell your butcher to save the organs...homemade liverwurst and liver and onions. Deer liver is great. Save that beef/deer heart too. Slice it up and sauté it in butter. Chicken hearts and gizzard too.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eat'er up. Eat and cook like they did 200 years ago and you'll be a fit sumbitch. Don't forget about organ meats, that is damn good for you too. If you order a beef, tell your butcher to save the organs...homemade liverwurst and liver and onions. Deer liver is great. Save that beef/deer heart too. Slice it up and sauté it in butter. Chicken hearts and gizzard too.
You make liverwurst with beef liver? Wow. You are one tough S.O.B. I tip my hat in respect sir

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
Beef liver is probably one of the more tender of the livers. Ive had good mule deer liver, crock potted with onions, antelope are just tough and chalky. deer heart steaks are awesome to make sandwiches out of as well as ox tongue.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
You make liverwurst with beef liver? Wow. You are one tough S.O.B. I tip my hat in respect sir

The trick is using the tounge or heart and adding plenty of fat.

1.25 lbs beef liver

1/2 lb cooked beef tongue or heart
3/4 lb back fat
3 tsps table salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 onion +1 TBS coconut oil, grated and cooked till soft and golden
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground mace
2 tsps dried marjoram
1/4 tsp ground coriander, optional
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
The trick is using the tounge or heart and adding plenty of fat.

1.25 lbs beef liver

1/2 lb cooked beef tongue or heart
3/4 lb back fat
3 tsps table salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 onion +1 TBS coconut oil, grated and cooked till soft and golden
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground mace
2 tsps dried marjoram
1/4 tsp ground coriander, optional
1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
I'll try anything once. Does the liver have to be super fresh, or is one that's been frozen in my deep freeze for 2 months OK? I saved it in case I ran into a good recipe like this one

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
never tried this bone soup before. Seems my dog is a bone eating fool, and would not be happy with me taking his treats

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll try anything once. Does the liver have to be super fresh, or is one that's been frozen in my deep freeze for 2 months OK? I saved it in case I ran into a good recipe like this one

I'm sure it's fine. Let me know what you think.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75