another bib question

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read some of the other discussion but am still not sure what Im looking for. What type of fishing bib would work best for fishing in the boat on cool days and ice fishing with reinforced knees. I guess it doesn't need to be super warm. Can someone give me an exact model to check out. I see some different sales here and there but not sure if what I want? thanks

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would buy high quality shell bibs (summer version basically - no liner) so they aren't hot come spring/summer/fall

buy them plenty loose and you can layer up on cold fall days or even for icefishing

Then just get a set or three of these to achieve the padded/reinforced knees. I love them!

ik-114495.jpg

tommygun23

Established Member
I think you'd be comfortable with the striker predator bibs, they won't burn you out but you will be plenty comfortable when it's cold out. I also just ordered a pair of the Frabill I2 bibs for a lighter weight pair for fall spring open water.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
those frabills look about right but the sale is only for 3xxl. I need something long. I am 6'6 with 36 in inseam. thanks for thoughts though guys

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had really good luck with Cabelas guidewear....they often run pretty good sales :
Cabela's Guidewear® Men's Xtreme Bibs with GORE-TEX® – Regular Sale Price: $224.99

however I do not have a pair of their bibs but have owned other products and have been very happy with them...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Us goofy tiller guys often have to bib up just to cross the lake when it's 90 degrees due to wind - ha ha

So I go for quality bibs but no knee reinforcement or pads as even they get hot. :)

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
those frabill would be perfect but looks like they'd be too short. I see cabelas has clam bibs on sale. Are they any good...maybe too warm?

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
those frabill would be perfect but looks like they'd be too short. I see cabelas has clam bibs on sale. Are they any good...maybe too warm?

Keep an eye on those guidewear for sales…they often upgrade every year and clearance out their old stuff…last year a picked up a $250 uninsulated parka for $99 …

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too like the slightly oversized standard rain suit and then swap base layers to achieve desired warmth. One can go from very lightweight nylon fishing pants/shirts in the summer to 2-3 layers of warm fleece, a high-pile (Wookie Suit), some primaloft underpinnings, etc when it's cold and life stays warm and dry.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
Us goofy tiller guys often have to bib up just to cross the lake when it's 90 degrees due to wind - ha ha

So I go for quality bibs but no knee reinforcement or pads as even they get hot. :)

You are not kidding. Learned a lot the first summer last year. Layers... and the rain gear is ALWAYS in the boat.

- - - Updated - - -

I read some of the other discussion but am still not sure what Im looking for. What type of fishing bib would work best for fishing in the boat on cool days and ice fishing with reinforced knees. I guess it doesn't need to be super warm. Can someone give me an exact model to check out. I see some different sales here and there but not sure if what I want? thanks

https://shop.vexilar.com/en/vexilar-wear-and-decals/cold-snap-bibs/cold-snap-bib-ii--vxw730-1_group

I use these all winter and on uber cold open water days. I have a separate set for warm weather rain...

MULEDEER

Established Member
I have the striker predator coat and bibs. Like it better than my 10 year old blue suit my son had an original scheels suit and he wore it a lot and loved it but they quite making them. He now has the clam gray with yellow strip one and likes it

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
those frabills look about right but the sale is only for 3xxl. I need something long. I am 6'6 with 36 in inseam. thanks for thoughts though guys
Cabelas makes a tall version that will work for you. I have a difficult time with other brands that don't offer a tall.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
update...thanks vollmer. If you didn't check out fieldsupply.com you should. crazy sale on frabill bibs. I did order a pair worried they would be too short. But they had really nice adjustable straps and work fine for what I need.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77