22 nosler

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How are they twisting it? 1:8 from the get-go with some forethought regarding melding the magazine length with the chamber geometry might could give the ubiquitous 1:14 22-250 a reasonable challenge.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't see it catching on, have to see the curve on this one to make a guy hunt for that brass when every little sporting goods store has .223 and 22-250.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Another cartridge that will die an early death. If these companies would look at what wildercatters did 50 years ago they would save lots of money. Guys like Roy Weatherby and PO Ackley had a great effect on enhancing parent cartridges. Remington tried it with their Ultra mag line, Winchester with their short mag, and Nosler with their line. In the last 6 months, Scheels prices have dropped from $1799 to $1299 on Nosler rifles.

Nosler was hyping that the 22 nosler would be king in an AR frame. With brass at $67 a hundred you wont see many guys flinging that in the grass.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will build one I figure why not have another caliber.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A 223 Ackley can match velocity of the 22 nosler with less powder. There are many advantages of the 223 Ackley as you can shoot factory 223 if you want and you also fireform at the same time, you don't have to trim them about everytime you reload, better accuracy and cheaper brass.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anyone planning on trying this new one out? Approximately 300 FPS faster than 556/223 advertised. Same bolt face as a 223 but it's a rebated rim cartridge.

I do not undersand why anyone would want a rebated rim on an auto loader. It hasn't worked before so why would they think it would now.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
As mentioned before, there's not much really new under in the cartridge world. Even the 6.5 Creedmore is just a 250 Ackley Improved opened up to 26 caliber. It's also similar to the 6mmXC, except for caliber. The 6XC isn't much different than the really old 6mm International.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see companies often miss things too. I was waiting for a 6.5WSM. They started with the 300WSM, then went with the 7mmWSM. I thought they will surely go 6.5 next, but nope they went 270WSM. I can't see the 270WSM becoming popular with the .277 so close to the .284 bore. They missed and so will the 22 Nosler.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just don't see enough of an advantage here for me to upgrade over my 22 LR. Seems to be all I've ever needed in that 0.22X diameter.

Aw, c'mon guys...lighten up a little. I remember the day when people were still saying the 25-06 Rem was never going to last because it was too expensive and difficult to find while 270 and 30-06 ammo was sold in every gas station.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd bet the 270 WSM was marketed toward all the 270 win guys with the added speed.

Oh that's my thoughts too. I was really surprised when Remington came out with their 300 Ultra Short ------ 100 fps slower than the 300WSM. Sort of like the Remington 6mm vs the Winchester 243. The Remington 6mm missed the boat.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh that's my thoughts too. I was really surprised when Remington came out with their 300 Ultra Short ------ 100 fps slower than the 300WSM. Sort of like the Remington 6mm vs the Winchester 243. The Remington 6mm missed the boat.

6 was double buggered from the get-go. A morphodite 57MM case length that's too long for short actions and too short in long actions. Couple that with 1:14 twist relegating the originals to 80gn and less bullets and the 6/244 never stood a chance.

- - - Updated - - -

I do not undersand why anyone would want a rebated rim on an auto loader. It hasn't worked before so why would they think it would now.

Win built the 100's in .284 for a dozen years.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just don't see enough of an advantage here for me to upgrade over my 22 LR. Seems to be all I've ever needed in that 0.22X diameter.

Aw, c'mon guys...lighten up a little. I remember the day when people were still saying the 25-06 Rem was never going to last because it was too expensive and difficult to find while 270 and 30-06 ammo was sold in every gas station.

There is a huge advantage to stepping up to centerfire .224 cal or even 6mm If you want a more reliable, longer range round without having to grab your 270, 30-06 Etc.

- - - Updated - - -

Allen you sound more like my old man. He goes from 22lr to 270 win with nothing in between. Instead of buying something In between, he just keeps buying more 270's. I give him crap, cause I would gladly reload for him. I can't remember the exact phrase but I think it goes " be aware of the one rifle man." They tend to know their one rifle really well.

- - - Updated - - -

I just enjoy a variety of different cartridges because I like guns........ A LOT

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
6 was double buggered from the get-go. A morphodite 57MM case length that's too long for short actions and too short in long actions. Couple that with 1:14 twist relegating the originals to 80gn and less bullets and the 6/244 never stood a chance.

Yes, all the gun writers agree it was the twist that killed it. The 6mm bore was touted as an all around varmint and deer rifle. The 6mm Remington would not stabilize 100 gr bullets. The 243 Winchester came out with 1/10 twist. In later years Remington wised up and went with a faster twist, but it was to late the 6mm was kicking it's last in the dust. Still a few guys cling to it.

Remember Remingtons 5mm rimfire? Not many do. I had a guy working for me that thought it was a miracle round and fit for the African dangerous five, but he couldn't find shells anymore.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, all the gun writers agree it was the twist that killed it. The 6mm bore was touted as an all around varmint and deer rifle. The 6mm Remington would not stabilize 100 gr bullets. The 243 Winchester came out with 1/10 twist. In later years Remington wised up and went with a faster twist, but it was to late the 6mm was kicking it's last in the dust. Still a few guys cling to it.

Remember Remingtons 5mm rimfire? Not many do. I had a guy working for me that thought it was a miracle round and fit for the African dangerous five, but he couldn't find shells anymore.

My old man has a 788 chambered in 6mm remington. he loves it for coyotes and has killed quite a few deer with it too.

it's the weirdest gun I have seen left hand bolt with a right hand eject

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member

Aguila makes 5mm RRM ammo again, I saw some somewhere or listed somewhere awhile back. According to their website current production is on hold due to .22 RF production and 5mm RRM production will resume in 2017...

https://www.aguilaammo.com/frequently-asked-questions/

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/03/15/aguila-reintroduces-the-5mm-rrm/

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74