Masterbuilt 40" electric smoker

krhuntin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Okay, need some advice. I have narrowed down my choices to getting a masterbuilt 40" electric smoker. Now comes my question. Do I get the one with the window or the cabelas version without the window. The one with window appears to be wider and less deep, the cabelas version appears to be narrower but deeper? Anyone have or use these with any input? Thanks

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the 40" with the window. The window is just about worthless. The smoke makes it too hazy to see and eventually you get a film build up. I cleaned it off the first time I used it, but I haven't touched it since. I was told to stay away from the Bluetooth model and go with the older remote because it has a better range. I'm happy with it. The only real disadvantage is the 1/2 cup of chips you can only feed it at a time. I get about an hour of smoke per load. I do like the method for adding chips because you don't have to open the door, letting out all the heat and smoke.

Couple tips of advice:

do not open the door after adding chips. I've noticed when it's opened, it's let out heat causing the element to kick on and I believe the added oxygen and air movement ignites the chips on fire. So try to open it after the chips are mostly burned up

when you are smoking in cold temps, place a few decent sized rocks in the bottom. They hold heat lowering the recovery time of getting it back up to temp.

Happy smoking

- - - Updated - - -

You can add an A-maz-in smoke tube for a longer supply of smoke before reloads.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Masterbuilt 40 without the window. My advice is skip the electric and go propane. Electric unit works okay but like KW said the recovery time is quite long. My opinion is that it is "underpowered". I'm going to be purchasing a propane powered unit this spring. Cook times can be much longer than expected with the electric models or if you plan on smoking sausage where water has been added and will require drying during the smoking process.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the 40 with blue tooth the app I'd nice you can watch the temp while watching TV and adjust it, set timers. It really sucks though if it disconnects it's tough to get it to pair up again. I've found also you have to watch out for over smoking and cooking anything right above the heat element on the bottom three trays and the stuff that isn't above the element on the bottom tray stays much cooler. I like Applewood chips the best so far. And don't buy more than one bag of chips of a certain flavor cause one bag will last a very very long time

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the masterbuilt pro propane love it 2 burners two smoke trays bought it because didnt want to try to get it to temp when it was cold outside. I have no problem with temp. have the window in it cant see through it now.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went with electric because I wanted to have a digital temp thermostat that could regulate the temp as precise as possible. You guys with propane, how hard is it to regulate the temp. Folks had one growing up and it was a Bearcat to control.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the masterbuilt 40" with the window but no Bluetooth. It works just fine but like everyone has said the recovery time is no good. I try to clean my window every other time I use it but it doesn't get very clean anymore. I didn't like adding wood chips every hour by the tube so I bought the cold smoker attachment for like $60 that holds enough chips for 5-6 hrs or better. Seems to work good. Just used it last weekend when my traeger shit the bed on me half way through smoking a pork butt.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 30in electric masterbuilts and love them. I make 100+lbs of sausage every winter with them and play Famous Dave's on the weekend. I want to try a few BBQ contests this summer, so I'll have to get a smoker that doesn't run on propane or electricity.
IMG_20160812_073605831_HDR - Copy.jpg

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went with electric because I wanted to have a digital temp thermostat that could regulate the temp as precise as possible. You guys with propane, how hard is it to regulate the temp. Folks had one growing up and it was a Bearcat to control.

I have a propane smoker and have used it for 10 years. It is sometimes hard to control the temp, but once you learn how to both adjust the knob (it can be kind of touchy) and the top vent, it gets a bit easier. But I still occasionally have flare-ups of my chips if I open the vent too much on top. The only other complaint I have is that I have to pay attention and rotate my sausage as the bottom stuff gets more cooked than the top stuff which then means opening the door and losing heat. However, it doesn't seem to take long to get back to the correct temp as long as it's not really cold out. I've never used an electric, no experience with anything else so I can't compare.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 30in electric masterbuilts and love them. I make 100+lbs of sausage every winter with them and play Famous Dave's on the weekend. I want to try a few BBQ contests this summer, so I'll have to get a smoker that doesn't run on propane or electricity.
918cb92a1dd7545cab549e96e092cc69.jpg

I could have bought 2 30"ers for less than the price of a 40". I was internet shopping so I couldn't compare the 2 side by side. I have to say I'm glad I went with the 40". The 30" looks like a microwave.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 30" electric and love it. A buddy has a 30" electric and 40" propane. The propane is a PITA if there is a wind or if you need to smoke below 150°. It does not cook evenly either but like everyone else said, it recovers much quicker. I also use the amaz-n-smoker most of the time. Seems to give a more consistent smoke than the chips do.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started smoking with an MES 40 I think a few years ago, non Bluetooth. I had to recently upgrade to the Bluetooth model not long ago due to one of the connecters to the burner corroding and breaking while I had the racks stuffed full of bacon. Quick trip to Bismarck and a new smoker later I got the bacon done that day. I use the amazen smoker tray for all of my smoking needs, screw that small chip tray on the masterbuilts. I just purchased the tube from owensbbq also, I don't really know why since the 5x8 tray works just fine but I impulse bought the tube also. I ordered a 20lb box of pitmasters choice pellets awhile back and ordered some pecan and fruit blend recently from owensbbq. Had the pellets and seasoning at my door the next day. I still have the old smoker that has seen better days but someone looking to tinker with it could fix it reasonably cheap and easy I think or if someone wants it for a cold smoker come get it from washburn. I usually don't smoke more than a smoker full so it's just sitting in my garage. I would definitely recommend an amazen tube or tray for any masterbuilt smoker, so nice not having to worry about the smoke and adding chips.

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
As others have said, don't waste your money on the glass door. I bought the 40" to replace a Bradley that I hated. In my opinion the Masterbuilt is a much better smoker. Generally I don't put smoke to the meat for more then an hour total, so two fills of the chip tube is all it takes for me.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
As others have said, MES is a fine machine. Rip out the chip tray, create a heat shield by bending a cookie sheet over the heating element, and get a 5x8 AMNPS from Owen's BBQ. Other mods include a stovepipe out the top vent with an elbow in it to prevent wild temp swings in windy weather, a 1000w dimmer to maintain a narrower temp range, and fill that water pan with sand and cover in foil. All these mods will keep you within a narrower temp range. The thermostat that comes standard is notorious for wide swings

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a Bradley which is not ideal in cold weather, or high wind, which means in ND its only useable half the time. I also have a Traeger pellet grill, this thing holds temp like a champ, will get up to 500* if you want to finish anything off, will smoke, cook, grill, bake, and works in wind, rain, cold, etc. But I wouldn't use it on jerky so much as it has limited room for lots of smoking area like the Bradley does.

For what these things cost I would do some research.

krhuntin

Founding Member
Founding Member
do you have a picture of this at all? i guess i have never heard of these mods. Sounds like they would be the ticket though
As others have said, MES is a fine machine. Rip out the chip tray, create a heat shield by bending a cookie sheet over the heating element, and get a 5x8 AMNPS from Owen's BBQ. Other mods include a stovepipe out the top vent with an elbow in it to prevent wild temp swings in windy weather, a 1000w dimmer to maintain a narrower temp range, and fill that water pan with sand and cover in foil. All these mods will keep you within a narrower temp range. The thermostat that comes standard is notorious for wide swings

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
do you have a picture of this at all? i guess i have never heard of these mods. Sounds like they would be the ticket though
I could take some, but there are a few in depth threads on Smoking Meats Forum. Head over there and search "MES mods". That's where I got all my ideas

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66