Boat Fuel Tanks

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why is it that cars, pickups, and SUV's for the most part, can be pumped full on the wide open auto setting of the handle and then stop without overflowing and yet every single internal marine tank from every single manufacturer spews gas as predictable as Old Faithful? I've owned a Ranger, Crestliner, and Yar Craft that all spew. I've also seen its with Lund, Alumacraft, Skeeter, Warrior, and I'm probably forgetting some.

Sonsabitches!

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
No boat could be worse than my Yar Craft BTX for filling with fuel. There is a one way check valve in the fill line. This is to keep fuel from leaking incase of capsizing, and or sinking. I use a heavy wire to push the valve open; but it only works to a certain extent. My boat fills faster with a fuel jug (you know the fuel jugs; the ones that already suck) rather than at the pump.

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a starcraft viper that blows big time for filling fuel also! Thought it was just my boat! Very fustrating

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
you guys need to drive a diesel and then play with the high speed semi pumps, you will think the little bit of gas over flow is nothing

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Go to Cennex everybody says there so slow, they might work better for the boat

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It might be fun to use 2 1/2 gallon tanks, and transfer them into the 50 gallon boat fuel tank that way.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to Cennex everybody says there so slow, they might work better for the boat

Cenex = Ethanol, not in my boat, or old car, or lawn mower, or ice auger, or ATV, or lawn tractor, or............

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cenex = Ethanol, not in my boat, or old car, or lawn mower, or ice auger, or ATV, or lawn tractor, or............

They don't have premium? I hear you on the ethanol, had 1000 gallons delivered two years ago in my yard tank by accident, made them come and get it back after we used 80 gallons. Our Cenex has premium on two pumps but it doesn't matter anyway, it always overflows on my Skeeter too.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just dont let the foam cover of your gas conditioner go down the hole. That hose is a total bitch. No way i could dismantle without putting a new one on.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cenex stations in Minot, Kenmare have 91 Oct. with no Ethanol

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lincoln cenex has 91 premium, no ethanol. I guess i've never had a problem with overflowing out of the vents on my lund. maybe it's old enough that it isn't an issue? i usually hold the handle though, i never lock it and walk away.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
Lincoln cenex has 91 premium, no ethanol. I guess i've never had a problem with overflowing out of the vents on my lund. maybe it's old enough that it isn't an issue? i usually hold the handle though, i never lock it and walk away.

With my old lund tiller, The fill hose is almost a straight shot in to the tank, maybe that helps alittle. Yours is probably the setup up nearly the same.

My new lund takes fuel like a champ! when the pump shuts off it usually only spills about 8oz out the vent, but most of the time I stand by the pump and shut off after I start hearing the gurgling!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I'm not the only one to have fuel erupt out because I wasn't paying attention. That only took one time to make me stay at the pump and not lock the handle.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love that smell of an overfilled tank spilling down the edge, then tarping the boat back up. Once you get to the lake and pull the tarp, oh boy is that a glorious blast of scent.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i ussually have my ignition on and look over at the fuel gauge. Small vent = less chance of water in the fuel

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
same on my 1999 Lund. Paint and decals are a bit faded from all of the gas that has spewed out of those vents over the years.

- - - Updated - - -

speaking of those vents, one of mine is broke. Is that a big deal?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76