Mono or Fireline for Trolling???

defiant1

Honored Member
Okay, since ice fishing was hit or miss this season, I am turning my attention to spring/summer fishing. I will be fishing Devils Lake primarily this season and was wondering if I should spool my trolling rods with mono or fireline (or equivalent)? Fireline will be stronger so when I get a snag (which I will), I will be less apt to lose a crank bait. But the mono has some give to it so I would be less apt to lose a fish when it grabs on.

Any thoughts or practical experience would be appreciated.

d1

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run power pro on everything... haven'the had to respool a reel for a few years now.. suppose I should get to that sometime... power pro just works for me no matter how I am fishing

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I 2nd power pro. I have used fire line a few times and never had good luck with it.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm spooled with braid on pretty much everything as well. Only time I feel I have had problems pulling a hook out of a fish is when my drag is way too tight. If using braid just make sure you set your drag a little less than normal

- - - Updated - - -

My braid choices are power pro and spider wire for what it's worth.

defiant1

Honored Member
I run power pro on everything... haven'the had to respool a reel for a few years now.. suppose I should get to that sometime... power pro just works for me no matter how I am fishing

I 2nd power pro. I have used fire line a few times and never had good luck with it.

What power pro line weight/size do you all use?

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^This. I run fireline on my trolling rods and power pro on spinner/jigging rods. I love both lines. The key to trolling is to set your drag lighter. Not only will it help with not ripping the hooks out the mouth, but if you get a bad snag and line can't pull out you have a good chance of breaking your rod.

I would also run a rod designed for trolling. Something with glass in it, gives you that forgiveness you need when trolling braided line.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with the golfer guy. Fireline on my trolling rods, powerpro on every thing else. Fluoro leader on my jigging rods.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ted Takasaki told me personally to use power pro, he knows more then you guys, and I will heed his advice.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iffn Fred Bear was to have ever spoke with me about anything bow hunting related, I would never question him, but might be offended when he turned down the Ice Cold Busch Light I would have obviously offered him

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
for pitching light jigs nanofil is hard to beat for sensitivity IMO it's more "dense" than a braid and it casts a country mile. power pro super slick on normal jigging, and jig/crank pitching rods. fire line on trolling rod cuz that's what it came with

fishman

Founding Member
Founding Member
power pro 30lb test for trolling, Nanofil is the bomb for pitching

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm spooled with braid on pretty much everything as well. Only time I feel I have had problems pulling a hook out of a fish is when my drag is way too tight. If using braid just make sure you set your drag a little less than normal

- - - Updated - - -

My braid choices are power pro and spider wire for what it's worth.

Also, a softer action rod will take up some of the job of stretch. I like braid for trolling because you can instantly tell if your lure is even slightly fouled.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
All four of my line counters have 10lb Fireline with arm span length of 12lb florocarbon leader to add a little give. Been working well for me. A lot of the depth charts have curves for both 10lb fireline and 10lb mono. Fireline will run a little deeper at the same depth because of it's smaller diameter.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Power pro for me also, 10/2 on jigging rods and what ever the next one up is on trolling rods. Also run a mono o4 flouracorbon leader. I like buying new tackle not replacing lost tackle.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
For trolling specifically I use 10/2 power pro for any live bait rigs and use mono behind the bb or whatever.

For cranks, I use mono 12# leader when trolling lead since the lead gets you to the bottom, so I like a little bouyancy between that and the crank. For non lead cranking, I use 14 pound power pro with a fluorocarbon 12# six foot leader.

For me, rocks just get too abrasive for fireline and cause fraying. I will admit a few strands even is tough as heck, but I just dont have as good of luck with it. I do think fireline casts better than power pro, but generally I just use 10/2 power pro for that too.

Nonofil is for the birds to me. That stuff is way too abrasive to pitch for me. I feel like I'm retieing the crap more than I do mono.

I do also run some suffix 832 for trolling rods. I haven't had any complaints with it so far.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run 30lb pp for trolling and 10 lb for pitching jigs. How does nano do with rocks?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75