Recipe: Fried Crappie Cakes

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
While you’re out there, try this recipe. It’s simple enough to whip up, right next to the fish house, and it’s a great change of pace from typical fried crappie. Think crab cakes, but for ice fishermen.
Ingredients

• 1 pound of crappie fillets (makes about 6 big cakes)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/2 to 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1-1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
  • 1/4 lemon (juice)
  • 1 tsp. Worcestershire
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1-1/2 cups breadcrumbs
  • 1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 2 tbsp. canola oil

crappies.png
Alex Robinson
A good haul of evening crappies.

Directions
After you’ve filleted the crappies, boil the fillets in a cast-iron skillet. Boil the fish for a few minutes, until the fillets feel firm. Then, let the fish cool (we did this by simply letting the bitter winter wind get to them).
While the fillets are cooling, make your batter. In a large bowl, whisk the egg, mayo, mustard, Old Bay, lemon, salt, and Worcestershire sauce. Then, break up the crappie fillets into large chunks. You can use a knife, or just barehand it. Add the fish, breadcrumbs, and parsley to the mixture and mix it up thoroughly.
When the mixture is starting to stick together, then form it into cakes. You want to make them between 1/4-inch and 1/2-inch thick.
Once that's done, all you have to do is fry the cakes in the butter and canola oil. Flip when the first side is brown and pull them from the oil when both sides are nicely browned. Serve ’em hot to your hungry fishing buddies.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive made walleye cakes a few different ways and they are good. Its a good way to get rid of some frozen walleye in the winter. I don't keep pike but they would probably be the best for this because you would get larger firmer flakes that hold together.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have tried this recipe and it is excellent. To me though, crappie are just too dang tasty to throw into a cake. I've used pike and it works awesome.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Come on guys, knock this off. Do you have any idea what you are doing to my waistline? That and I've been such a poor fisherman this winter that I'd be better off to just go buy some fish.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Going to have to try this with some pike, sounds really good.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to try this for supper tonight! It will have to be walleye as I don't have any Crappie in the freezer, oddly enough they never make it to the freezer in my house. Will also be whipping up some tartar sauce to go with them.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
This recipe is awesome!! Highly recommend it. Pretty easy to make as well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74