Labradar vs Magnetospeed - indoor use

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot quite a bit at the indoor rifle range in Fargo (RRRMC.com).
I’m looking for a new chronograph solution since they won’t let me use my optical one (because it has to sit in front of the bench).

Labradar seems ideal since it sits next to you and you don’t have to strap anything to your barrel (suppressor) that will affect barrel harmonics. And I don’t mind paying the difference between that (~$560) and the Magnetospeed V3 (~$380).

However, on the Labradar site under the FAQ, it says:
“It may not work if you are shooting in a tunnel or tube as the radar will be reflecting off of those surfaces.”

So I’m wondering if anyone has used one indoors, and specifically at the Fargo rifle range.

If Labradar isn’t going to work, I may have to settle for the Magnetospeed. Can anyone tell me if they work when strapped to a suppressor? -- Their online propaganda seems to imply it does.

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Paging SDMF

I've never cared for shooting indoors. I suggest you shoot outdoors. I frequent the Casselton range in the winter. The folks who run the Horace range are good people and I like to patronize their business when they're open. My son really gets a kick out of "shooting and cheeseburgers" with dad out at the Horace range.

I want a Labradar.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never used the MS. I have the LR. The LR occasionally takes some positional fine tuning to read bullets with really small bases like the 75gn A-max. Everything else and it's "set it and forget it." simple. I don't have anything smaller than .224. The one time we tried to read .204 diameter bullets we got 8 out of 10 to read, they were sub 4Kfps chambering that I can't recall right now.

Typical setup:

IMG_0998_zpswklecbvq.jpg

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I much prefer to shoot outdoors as well. However, if I waited for the weather to line up with my schedule, I'd hardly ever shoot. When trying to work up hand loads, that just isn't going to be productive. Also, setting up an optical chrony correctly by yourself is a pain in the ass, so I'm looking to upgrade regardless.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
A Labrador showed up in the rrrmc rifle range today. It didn't work. Our resident bench rest shooter said one had been in before and didn't work either. Maybe the signal bounces off the concrete walls too much.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
A Labrador showed up in the rrrmc rifle range today. It didn't work. Our resident bench rest shooter said one had been in before and didn't work either. Maybe the signal bounces off the concrete walls too much.

That's kind of what I figured. Oh well, I guess that's $560 I get to keep.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76