ARs for Southpaws?

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious if anyone here has one or recommends anything for using right handed guns? Ive been considering buying an AR but have this concern. I have heard of aftermarket deflectors. And yeah go ahead with the lefty jokes too I'm sure.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rock River, Stag Arms and Black Rain Ordinance all offer left hand models, all good quality guns to. Have you ever fired an AR? Maybe a little experimenting would help. I'm not left handed myself but if you could track someone down that is maybe you could try one out.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been shooting right-handed ARs (and shot guns) left handed for years. A 243 Win and a 556. It's no big deal. There are a few (very few) stripped-down uppers out there that don't have the shell deflector. I would avoid those, but otherwise, the world is your burrito.

A correctly gassed AR will eject at 3-4 o'clock, so unless there's something severely wrong with the gun, or your stance, the brass will never hit you.

Also, shooting left handed is no joking matter. The lack of selection in left-handed rifles is a god damn travesty. Although if I shot right-handed, I'd own a lot more cool and expensive guns, so it's probably for the best.

Last edited:

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'am left handed, shooting every thing from 308 down to 22 cal. in right handed AR's with no problems, just remember to wear your ear plugs. I have shot more AR's without deflectors then with deflectors, they all work ok, buy what ever you want and go have fun

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been shooting right-handed ARs (and shot guns) left handed for years. A 243 Win and a 556. It's no big deal. There are a few (very few) stripped-down uppers out there that don't have the shell deflector. I would avoid those, but otherwise, the world is your burrito.

A correctly gassed AR will eject at 3-4 o'clock, so unless there's something severely wrong with the gun, or your stance, the brass will never hit you.

Also, shooting left handed is no joking matter.
The lack of selection in left-handed rifles is a god damn travesty. Although if I shot right-handed, I'd own a lot more cool and expensive guns, so it's probably for the best

I've said the same thing for years. I own a stag. seems to be good, had zero issues with it.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everyone else has pretty much summed it up, don't worry about ejecting shells hitting you. Find one that has a safety that is easily used left handed. I have fired an ar 15 and had no issues with the spent brass. The safety was set up ambidextrous so no problem. You know it is a shame there are so few guns set up for left handed use. I did happen on a left handed Savage 30-06 once, paid for it in a hot hertbeat.

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Remington R25 Gen I in .308 is fine for left handed shooters. Both my brother and I do fine.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a lefty as well. Right handed ARs shoot just fine. I'm super stoked that beretta finally started making left-handed shotguns this year. I've always shot benelli, but may be making the switch this year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57