Spring snow goose migration report 2017

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snows are blowing through SD,with small bunches reported in the sand lake area already.ND might have some by this weekend,but looks like a big storm next week.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
gotta think theyre gonna get caught aren't they? Few honkers around my area too. Usually they are pretty spot on as far as spring coming but I bet they put the brakes on and turn around at some point. HOpe they're right though.

sdwxman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just saw a big bunch fly by the office in Aberdeen SD.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
saw a flock of Canadian geese up here in south east Burke County this morning 12 to 15 in the group, not sure if they are migrating or if they are off the power plant up by Estevan

love2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a handful of Canadians and a handful of swans by Fergus Falls on Wednesday driving back from the Shities

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
some darks have definitely moved into the river. Monday on my drive up that washburn area actually had noticeable birds and this is the first I can say that since say early December. not a ton by any means but darks are moving up. this cold extended forecast will pretty much lock any sheet water up that we do currently have so guessing the snows will retreat a bit especially if that snowmegadon hits SD like it is forecast.
tight lines#$%^&> keep ripping lips for now

RNinND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of geese moving through the Pollock area this past weekend. Only seen 1 snow goose though.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still early guyz,buddy from Omaha said they closed the dark goose season 10 days ago,they hunt the rain water basin area south of omaha,major snow goose stagging area,few small scout groups and as of the last few nights very little migrators coming thru except for honkers,contacts in missouri and kansas are getting after'em pretty good but its hit or miss on the leading edge.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The leading edge is somewhere north of 94 at this point! Huge numbers in northern SD with most birds being described as having no interest in stopping and trucking north. Places like the RWB and squaw are now WELL on the backside of the main push hoping for the juvies to get there but unfortunately they move slower so are spread out to hell and back in sporadic small groups from Northwestern Missouri all the way down to Arkansas. At this point the main body is somewhere between 94 and 90 but it's so early i don't know anyone who is hitting them so it's hard to place a finger on exactly where they are in that run. Be interesting to see how far back the snow and cold will push them.

As for honkers there was the better part of 10,000 in the fields between misty waters and houg island with many many flocks heading up river yesterday.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went to Aberdeen on Sunday and east of Roscoe there were two fields that were white damn near a whole quarter

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah and just noticed something that is bad news for the boys in NE hoping for a complete reverse migration. If sand lake stays out of most of the storm and has as indicated by the weather service moderate flooding going on on the james both on the refuge and areas just south that's a perfect recipe for holding huge amounts of birds just north of the snow line.

Screenshot_20170222-100331.jpg

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
These birds must be smarter than us. The long term forecast dives back down below freezing and these birds still keep flying up north? will spring be here to stay or will the birds get a abrupt wake up call when the deep freeze continues?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
These birds must be smarter than us. The long term forecast dives back down below freezing and these birds still keep flying up north? will spring be here to stay or will the birds get a abrupt wake up call when the deep freeze continues?

we average 40 here around mobridge for the next 15 and now there is so much flooding in field s from all the rain it is goose paradise i would guess they will stick in this hole in sodak that is not supposed to get snow for a while

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
we average 40 here around mobridge for the next 15 and now there is so much flooding in field s from all the rain it is goose paradise i would guess they will stick in this hole in sodak that is not supposed to get snow for a while

so your saying these birds are gonna be playing "just the tip" with ND for the next two weeks.....

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
you mean the same general area they hole up in every year in sodak? huh weird. where is dickangler to tell us we are wrong again?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77