Bow hunting with a Camera

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
So last fall I missed a buck I have been after for 3 years. He was broadside, didn't know I was there at 42 yards on my knees on the path (I was headed out to go get my kids from daycare). I had time to pull out the ranger finder and double check the range many times, time to check the wind and think about any wind drift, ect. At the time it felt like 10 minutes, but it was likely more like 2-3. anyway, he steps up broadside andI draw. Touch the release and arrow goes screaming down range. From my perspective, I drilled him right in the chest, maybe just a tish high on the heart. Full on adrenalin mode kicks in. Replaying it time and time again. Never heard him crash, never saw him after the reeled around and took off. The doe he was tending just stood there. I sit on the ground and check the time. Text a couple guys that I think I just got "the one". after about 10 minutes, I go down to see if I can find blood or my arrow......... NO BLOOD. I keep replaying it in my head... I buried that arrow in his chest, I know I did. After 15 minutes I finally find my arrow embedded into the bank behind where the buck was. NO BLOOD.. F.. Just pissed I take the arrow and walk up to my house. I sat on the porch replaying it time and time again. WTF happened. I look at the broad head and there are 5 or so hairs. I grazed him. So as I replay it. I am straight west of him and we have damn near a straight N wind. He comes in from the S and steps up on top of a little mound. There is maybe a 5 ft drop in the 42 yards. When I released, he ducked a little and spun E. After looking at some trail camera pictures later, it looks like I grazed his front left shoulder.

So to my question, with the ND law change allowing for electronics being attached to a bow (that don't aid in the ranging, sight, or shot of the weapon), does any one mount a camera to their bow? I am looking at a tactacam or something that I can mount my cell phone to.

Depending on who wants to respond, I practice at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 yrds almost daily. I am already re-aligning my understanding of distance and reaction time. Earlier in the year, I had taken 2 does at 40 & 45 yrds without issue.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
most little cameras that mount to bows will not give you a good idea of shot placement when you shoot beyond 30 yards. I will mount a gopro to a nearby limb (which is way better quality video then putting it on your bow) but can hardly see a deer at a distance on the videos I have taken. Also if you don't practice shooting with a camera attached the bow will feel oddly balanced. Battery life will be a concern too when it starts getting cold.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tough break Yoby. I personally wouldn't add a camera to my bow. Adding more crap to your bow WON'T increase accuracy, but may quite possibly accomplish quite the opposite. Also, with the recoil of the bow, proper follow through, and arm motion, I've seen very few usable video clips from bow mounted cameras. If you want to add a camera to your hunt, I would look into those dorky looking head mounted jobbies that has nothing to do with your bow or your shooting form. Most of the time your head remains relatively stationary throughout the entire process of shooting a bow. Good Luck!!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't manage to the outlier. If you are looking to add a camera to view a 45 yard shot, it won't be cheap as you will need zoom.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
buy a bow hanger. screw bowhanger into tree, connect a video camera to the bowhanger with a window tripod mount. U can buy a decent handheld vid camera for cheap. That's what I do.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 121
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 72