New boat angler

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to give me any tricks or techniques on fishing for walleye on the Missouri River. I grew up fly fishing small lakes and the knife river in ND. Last spring I bought a boat and let me tell you it's be a learning curve. Especially on the river. I am looking for any advice I can get. Type of tackle, how to read and navigate the river, different techniques used, and where to fish (although I'm not looking for anyone's secret spot). I have a 9 year old son that goes with me most of the time and I would like to try get more fish on his line so any help would be great. Thanks and hope to see some of you on the water.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
It take time to read the river, buy a GPS unit and possible follow boats around for a good path. Driving slow is your next bet. Don't worry you will hit shit in the river, don't get discourage. Jigs and cranks. I usually only fish the river from april 1 to may 15 then off to the lake. Have fun, lots of community holes around so just go find boats and start fishing.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a new boat owner and looking to fish rivers, I would take a couple days and run your boat in the tailrace to get a feel for how your boat handles current. The race will have several different speeds of current with few underwater hazards. The boat landing also doesn't have a large amount of side current like most other river landings. Loading a boat in current is it's own special skill that must be mastered. It's not only and experience thing, but a safety thing. When things go bad, you will NEED to know what your boat will and won't do. Congratulations on owning your own "recreational money pit" or B. O. A. T. (Break out another thousand) and Good Luck!!!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep!! The chutes, the honey hole, and everywhere in between. The current there is always changing and will provide some valuable experience in running his boat in current without making long runs with sand bars, wood, rocks, and the other hazards that river has to offer. Even my tiny Sheyenne harbors some NASTY secrets that can get a guy into some serious poo poo in short order.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep!! The chutes, the honey hole, and everywhere in between. The current there is always changing and will provide some valuable experience in running his boat in current without making long runs with sand bars, wood, rocks, and the other hazards that river has to offer. Even my tiny Sheyenne harbors some NASTY secrets that can get a guy into some serious poo poo in short order.

Whatever he does up there, I would not leave the chutes and honey hole area and travel the west side of the river right away. That area is a river's Devil incarnate.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hazelton, Ft. Rice, Lewis and Clark have easier boat ramps for the river. Don't be the guy trying to figure out how to stage your boat for a speedy on/off this spring. If you need help, ask for it. Most of us are willing to hold your boat or move your pickup.

As far as fishing, find the community holes first and figure out why they're there. Current break, warmer water, etc. Toss your favorite jigs (I prefer a 3/16 oz if you have a good rod) tipped with minnows* or plastics. Don't be afraid to pull cranks along the bluffs.

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Hazelton, Ft. Rice, Lewis and Clark have easier boat ramps for the river. Don't be the guy trying to figure out how to stage your boat for a speedy on/off this spring. If you need help, ask for it. Most of us are willing to hold your boat or move your pickup.

As far as fishing, find the community holes first and figure out why they're there. Current break, warmer water, etc. Toss your favorite jigs (I prefer a 3/16 oz if you have a good rod) tipped with jigs or plastics. Don't be afraid to pull cranks along the bluffs.

Bold strategy cotton. Tipping jigs with jigs. I like the aggressiveness.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks guys for the input. I was thinking of trying the tail race I have been told I have to be careful. I don't know the area what/where are the chutes and honey hole. I worry about these community hole with my skills on boat handling. Any suggestions?

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
How new are you to the boating world? By that I mean if you have the basics down (don't anchor in a drift lane, etc) I'd say you're ready for the community holes on the Mo. And if any fancy fiberglass boats get too close, especially blue tillers, bounce a jig off the driver's giant head.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would start south --- as far as you can go -- where the current is less - ft rice / or hazelton. Easier to load your boat and you wont have as many hazzards --cept sandbars plus you have generally good fishing. Beforre you start fishing motor around and watch your elecrronics - you will get the feel of how the river runs and where the sandbars are. Bring a oar waders just in case - but generally the river is easy to learn when it moves slower. . Start dragging a jig and min this spring- use one big enough you can feel on the bottom. run your trolling mtor into the current just enough so you slip down stream slowly with the current ---- You will get a fish sooner or later. Once you catch that fish -- you will just have a feel. IMO

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plenty of current down at Hazelton. Plus a good boat ramp. Learning the river is much easier when the winds are down.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If a group of boats are drifting an area, and having success on each pass, don't be the guy that anchors in the middle of the pack. I hate that fricken guy, he seems to change his look from time to time, but always seems to show up...

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How new are you to the boating world? By that I mean if you have the basics down (don't anchor in a drift lane, etc) I'd say you're ready for the community holes on the Mo. And if any fancy fiberglass boats get too close, especially blue tillers, bounce a jig off the driver's giant head.
I am pretty new. I fished the river last year so I know how to find sandbars. (There easy to find). I have avoided a lot of areas with boat concentration because of this. This is why I am asking for help. BTW fly carp I see we have a similar interest. Fly fishing for carp is on of the most thrilling types of fishing you can do.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 60