Mustad Triple Grips

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a while back that Triple Grips were being discontinued. Unfortunately, the rumors were true. I'm going to take a moment to decided what to do with this disappointment/rage and move on.

Anyway, does anyone have other trebles they like? I'm asking all your opinions because I prefer not to put bad hooks on baits I sell, regardless of cost.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
i had to buy a pack of eagle claw lazersharp 2x strong (couldnt find triplegrips) for swapping out the dinky bottom treble on various spoons and of course jig raps. Been pretty happy so far

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gamakatsu treble hooks for me they look exactly like the Mustad treble hook. I changed out all my trebles on my tackle. Everything has Gamakatsu trebs on them. I actually believe the gams are sharper than the Mustad out of the box. Just a thought

- - - Updated - - -

Oh there is a downside to the gams is they don't bend they break off so that is a negative part to them. I like them just the same

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of the higher end Raps used to come with Black VMC's on them. Never been disappointed. I'd have to imagine that Gama makes some great trebles too. I've only used the octopus singles, but they're top-notch.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used both Gama's and VMC's and have nothing but good things to say about em. Why the hell would they discontinue triple grips?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Them damn Russians must be cornering the market on treble hooks making Mustad have to pull the plug. Or maybe they got caught hiring illegal immigrants now theyou have to pull the plug.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like to get some VMC extra strong trebles for ice fishing spoons from the Hagens catalog. They seem to hold up better to heavy use and don't bend out too bad. Prices are really good too!

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't overlook the Owner hooks. For some reason they aren't usually mentioned on the walleye focused boards, but they are every bit as good or better than the gami's, VMC, Mustads

The stx-58 is probably their best offering. It uses a lighter diameter wire while still claiming a 3x strength. Owner claims its the strongest on the market for that diameter size.

Your selling a premium product, might as well put the best hooks available on them. Or at least give the option. Non bulk pricing on these hooks is around $2 each.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
8 hooks for $12 dollars seems to be a bit excessive. I like owner hooks and I know they produce a great product, but damn.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
did some looking today. see nothing that indicates they are going to be discontinued. they are in all the major stores still.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
whatever huff and ahab tell you to buy.

- - - Updated - - -

I do whatever SDMF tells me to do most of the time too

- - - Updated - - -

guy is also part of my brain trust. nobody knows more than they do, believe me, ok.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is that why I got a hook less wonder bread?! It's not all bad though, my kid loves it as a toy!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74