Fishing Rod Comparison

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been thinking of upgrading one of my rods this year. Been saving some pennies. Looking to get a medium action with a fast or extra fast tip in that 6'7" range, give or a take a few inches.

Have looked at the scheels one, g loomis, St. Croix etc.

I have never had an extra fast tip. For those that have it, how do you like it compared to a fast tip?

Any other brands or rods I should be looking at? Not trying to spend $600 on a rod, but do have a bit of coin to spend, er I mean blow.

Mostly this rod would be used for jigging, jigging raps.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
I like the extra fast action. I fell like there is more sensitive then fast action, and more forgiving. I'm a big St Croix fan so go with it. But the scheels rod aren't to bad either. Especially when they break, go in and exchange same day service. Getting harder and harder to do that with other rod manufactures.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to use an extra fast action for lindy's and liked it. But I traded that rod away several years ago. It was a Schimano Compre. mine was a 6'3"MLXF. I don't think they make that particular rod anymore.

I use all fast actions now, fenwick HMX's. 5'9" medium fast for jigging. My pitching rods are 7' Scheels guide series, medium light fast tip.

eliminator

Honored Member
Call Chuck DeReemer in Fargo---he has custom rod building classes around the state and if you take one of those you could build yourself a custom rod and he could recommend exactly what you are looking for. Class and all with you building your own rod will be way less than 300 and you would have what you want. I have some of his and am very satisfied.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really hard to beat the St. Croix Legend Xtreme. I have not tried a $550 NRX Loomis, but they are a fair amount better than the GLX IMO.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Call Chuck DeReemer in Fargo---he has custom rod building classes around the state and if you take one of those you could build yourself a custom rod and he could recommend exactly what you are looking for. Class and all with you building your own rod will be way less than 300 and you would have what you want. I have some of his and am very satisfied.

I second this although it maybe pricier(notice I said maybe) than $300 for the class if you choose a St. Croix blank and something besides a cork grip. I took a class from him a couple years ago. TOP NOTCH INSTRUCTOR! You learn a little bit about fishing rods besides the actual build that perhaps you didn't know before. I'd recommend him in a heartbeat! He is pretty upfront about being a St. Croix guy over a Loomis guy though and will give you his reasons why.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to hijack the thread but what would you guys recommend in the $200-$300 range for a jigging rod?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to hijack the thread but what would you guys recommend in the $200-$300 range for a jigging rod?

I personally would skip that range. You're going to get close with a150-175 dollar stick and make a solid leap in the 300-400 range.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
For $300, I can build one heck of a rod. It won't say Loomis or Croix, but it'll out fish anything mass produced. If you have an opportunity to take Chuck's class, do so. Rod building is addictive.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im with Auggie. I built a 6.5 foot jigging rod last year on a light action fast MHX blank and love it. I normally use 1/8 ounce jigs with a leech for jigging.

total the setup cost me about 100 bucks.

used micro guides and a carbon fiber tube handle.

rod building is very addictive FYI

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Somebody give me the 101 on a custom self made rod. Your still buying the blank correct. Isn't that the most important piece? If u build it with the wrong blank u don't end up with the best rod. Your not building blanks or r u?

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy all the components (blank, guides, handle) then assemble. I get most of my stuff from Mudhole.com.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a Legend Elite or Legend Xtreme blank(same) and add micro guides. After that, top it off with your favorite grip.

Jiggernaut

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the GLoomis, St Croix, Scheels One and had a Fenwick. GLoomis and St Croix are OK, hated the fenwick (traded it for the GLoomis). I absolutely love the Scheels One rods. I have two. One is a Med Heavy and swear it's as sensitive as a med light.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new legend elites have torzite guides. I'm starting to like that rod better than my extreme. Both medium fast seven footers. Wow, is that thing light and responsive

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67