Are the big 3 in ND resident only?

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought the big 3 (moose, elk, bighorn) in ND were only open to ND residents. Just read through an article on G&F and saw this? Can non-res apply for all of them or only the big horn?

Because the bighorn sheep application fee is not refundable as per state law, if a bighorn season is not held, applicants would not receive a refund. Nonresidents may apply for North Dakota bighorn sheep licenses only through the Game and Fish website.

Looks like elk and moose are raffle ticket only for non-res. has bighorn always been open to non-res? I thought they still gave 1 tag away to the sheep foundation to raffle as well?

Last edited:

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
It has not always been that way. They've had the FNAWS tag for a long time but the ability for non-residents to apply for the sheep tag has been around for 8-10 years or so. It's a $100 application fee and I know one non-resident has drawn a tag in lottery but don't know if it's been more than one.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
There remains a possibility that a circumstance, such as a reoccurrence of bacterial pneumonia, maynegatively deplete the bighorn sheep population. If the Game and Fish Department Director determinesthat contemporary bighorn sheep population surveys show that a season is no longer justified, the bighornsheep season shall be cancelled. If such a circumstance would occur and the bighorn sheep season isaccordingly cancelled, in accordance with N.D.C.C. 20.1-03-12.2, the $5 resident and $100 nonresidentapplication fee shall not be refunded.

- - - Updated - - -

let them non-residents apply all they want! they would only ever get 1 tag for them and thats a nice chunk of change you never have to pay them back for!

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
I gotta ask - how long is this failing attempt at sustaining bighorns in nd gonna last? I absolutely love seeing them when I'm mule deer hunting, they are such a cool animal. it just seems like it has to be an awful lot of work for maybe something that doesn't fit here anymore and maybe never did all that well? don't burn me at the stake, I just wonder if money and resources could be spent elsewhere. I doubt many tourist dollars come in to see our 38 bighorn sheep.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sent my 5$ donation this morning for moose. Its worth the anticipation if I get one or not. I did get a elk tag in 1995 and got a nice 5X5 out by Killdeer. That still puts a smile on my face.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76