Scope

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
What would be your scope set up on a .300 mag? From $400-$700.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Leupold VX3i 2.5-8 or VX3 3.5-10, I had a VX3 2-8 on my 300 Weatherby and loved it.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is your intended purpose? Will you be hiking rough country? Glassing and shooting from great distances? Sitting in a shooting house? Benchrest rifle?

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
mainly deer and yotes. would like to be able to shoot past 600yds

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
shooting past 600 yards is easy the hitting part is where it gets harder. i would grab bsa or counter sniper and some blue box federal boolits and plug away

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hard to beat a 4.5-14 Leupold VX3 $500-700 or 3-18 VX-6 if you want to spend around a grand

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What is your intended purpose? Will you be hiking rough country? Glassing and shooting from great distances? Sitting in a shooting house? Benchrest rifle?

About 20 years ago I almost shot a guy for "glassing". I was sitting on the end of a ridge glassing for elk with my binoculars and happened to see a flash of light. When I found the flash it was some asshole looking at me through his scope. I almost fell off the rock I was sitting on getting out of the way. After getting down and kind of hidden I looked for him for 30 minutes or so and didn't see him so I called it a day and walked out. I ran into him the next morning and asked what the fuck he thought he was doing watching me through his scope. He said "the gun was loaded and had a round in the chamber "just in case" but he had his finger mostly off the trigger". I told him next time he did that to me I'd shoot him and walked away.

I think anyone that glasses with a scope should have his ass kicked and his rifle and hunting license taken away. Binoculars are made for glassing and scopes are for picking a precise place to put your bullet.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree but knowing bed wetter i am sure he ment glassing as in using binos or spotter and then using the scope to shoot long

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I agree but knowing bed wetter i am sure he ment glassing as in using binos or spotter and then using the scope to shoot long

He may well mean just that, I did not mean to accuse or imply that he was doing that.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
vortex viper HST 6-24 -50
Top my wife's .260 with the vortex viper HS-T 4-16-44. Will do just fine past 600 yards. Also have a leupold vx3i that is sitting on the shelf as it is nowhere near the vortex glass quality IMO. Would be willing to sell that to the die hard leupold guys. Used maybe 25rounds

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say save your money and buy one time depending on what was done to the rifle, I was spoiled and shot all NF and USO my whole career so all of my rifles are topped with NF scopes to include the wife's and kids' 6.5 creeds. Not saying you need to spend $1800.00 to 3k on a scope but if I put a bitchin' scope on a pos rifle I guarantee I could get my 13 year old to dial it in at 800yds. My 9 and 13 year olds ring steel at a half mile easily when all they have to do is line up this little black line on that little white taget and pull the trigger, bottom line here, don't skimp on the scope, rings or mount.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Top my wife's .260 with the vortex viper HS-T 4-16-44. Will do just fine past 600 yards. Also have a leupold vx3i that is sitting on the shelf as it is nowhere near the vortex glass quality IMO. Would be willing to sell that to the die hard leupold guys. Used maybe 25rounds

Which VX3i do you have?

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
My all-time favorite scope was a Leupold vari-X3 2.5-8X. Leupold replaced it with a VX3 when the 30-year-old one needed a part they no longer had. Great service, but the crosshairs are finer than my preference. I now also have a 4-14X Burris and it's excellent.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say save your money and buy one time depending on what was done to the rifle, I was spoiled and shot all NF and USO my whole career so all of my rifles are topped with NF scopes to include the wife's and kids' 6.5 creeds. Not saying you need to spend $1800.00 to 3k on a scope but if I put a bitchin' scope on a pos rifle I guarantee I could get my 13 year old to dial it in at 800yds. My 9 and 13 year olds ring steel at a half mile easily when all they have to do is line up this little black line on that little white taget and pull the trigger, bottom line here, don't skimp on the scope, rings or mount.
Yup. I think my grand daughter was 11 when she was consistent on eight inches at 800 yards with my Creedmoor and a 4X16 Vortex PST minute of angle reticle. I have a 6X24 but I think the best all around scope is a 4X16. Scope, Crown, and Trigger = hits.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Which VX3i do you have?

you had to ask that huh? 4-16-?? 1" tube. I liked it because the CDS elevation turret is in yardage but as I learned and got comfortable I prefer MOA when hunting with my buddy as everything is in "minutes"

I bought it as my first "legimate" scope when I got addicted to long range and reloading and ballistics. as I shot other custom and long range set ups I realized and actually liked how the vortex optics function. I prefer the bushnell elite tactical series but that's in the 1500-2000 price range so I left that out of the conversation and do really like the vortex on my wifes gun.

- - - Updated - - -

as far as the scope rings yep I go with all talley mounts on my rifles

- - - Updated - - -

triggers are also huge. shot both timney and jewel and actually this refuts I think a previous thread I posted on I think I give the notch to jewel triggers as my prefernce

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 20 years ago I almost shot a guy for "glassing". I was sitting on the end of a ridge glassing for elk with my binoculars and happened to see a flash of light. When I found the flash it was some asshole looking at me through his scope. I almost fell off the rock I was sitting on getting out of the way. After getting down and kind of hidden I looked for him for 30 minutes or so and didn't see him so I called it a day and walked out. I ran into him the next morning and asked what the fuck he thought he was doing watching me through his scope. He said "the gun was loaded and had a round in the chamber "just in case" but he had his finger mostly off the trigger". I told him next time he did that to me I'd shoot him and walked away.

I think anyone that glasses with a scope should have his ass kicked and his rifle and hunting license taken away. Binoculars are made for glassing and scopes are for picking a precise place to put your bullet.

Hell yes! I had a once life-long former friend do that shit to me one time while I was hunting in one of our pastures. I was floored when he said he had the cross-hairs on me. He is no longer a friend, nor is he allowed to hunt our land, and was damn lucky to walk away that day with a full set of teeth.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i get the scoping thing. but, most people would never do that with a round in the chamber. it does make a difference doesn't it?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i get the scoping thing. but, most people would never do that with a round in the chamber. it does make a difference doesn't it?

not in my eyes you point a gun at some thing you better be meaning to kill it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77