Prime Rib

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
What way should I cook it and why. I was thinking the smoker but don't have time to do that so I'm kind of hoping for a put it in and forget about it for a couple hours. It is a 6lb piece.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Season it heavily with kosher salt and pepper. Set oven to 500 degrees. Put in roast and cook 5 min per pound for rare, 6 min for med-rare. Shut off oven, DO NOT OPEN OVEN, and let the roast sit in the oven for 2 hours. Turns out perfect every time.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've smoke prime rib before. I don't know the seasoning I used, but it was pecan wood, 225, a few hours, and delicious!

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Season it heavily with kosher salt and pepper. Set oven to 500 degrees. Put in roast and cook 5 min per pound for rare, 6 min for med-rare. Shut off oven, DO NOT OPEN OVEN, and let the roast sit in the oven for 2 hours. Turns out perfect every time.
This method works very well. It won't be as tender as if you were to smoke it for 6 hours at 185, but it will still be damned good. I used this oven method for a christmas prime rib a couple years ago and it was very good, then a couple weeks later I made another on my traeger and it was waaaay better.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reverse sear +1000. Just Google it. Low and slow for as long as you have time for. Then, if you feel the crust from the low and slow doesnt meet your standards, you can sear it. But, I've found the crust that develops from a good low and slow is sufficient for me. You need to get thay meat to a target temp and hold it there for a while so it breaks down the connective tissue. Thats my opinion. I get it to 135 and if i have time, i will hold it there for a couple hours if possible. That gives you a rare roast thats tender with connective tissue that is broken down and not chewy.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I vote reverse sear as well.
Remember that it is easier to start a oven at a lower temp and raise than it is to start high and let oven cool. My mom made one with the high heat method for Christmas and absolutely murdered it to expensive pot roast that needed a lot of gravy.
Season up your Prime, put two thermometers one for meat and one for oven air temp so that you can adjust your oven if it isn't running the temp you actually want.
In my opinion.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have decided to put it in the oven at 500 for 30 min then let it sit for 2 hours. I put a great tasting dry rub on it last night and have it up to room temp now. Oven is preheating as I type.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0721.jpg
IMG_0722.jpg
IMG_0723.jpg
I got my prime rib cooked up today. It was one of the best I have ever had. I made a homemade rub I found online and let that sit on it for about 18 hours. Stuck it in the oven at 500 for 30 min and turned it off and let it cook for another 2 hours. After resting internal temp was at 126. It was very tender and evenly cooked all the way through. I think I'm going out to have to make another one in a couple months.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got my prime rib cooked up today. It was one of the best I have ever had. I made a homemade rub I found online and let that sit on it for about 18 hours. Stuck it in the oven at 500 for 30 min and turned it off and let it cook for another 2 hours. After resting internal temp was at 126. It was very tender and evenly cooked all the way through. I think I'm going out to have to make another one in a couple months.

It looks delicious!

What was the rub you used?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
It looks delicious!

What was the rub you used?

IMG_0724.jpg

This is the rub I used except the msg mixed it all together then rubbed the meat down with soy sauce then added the seasoning and rubbed it in.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys. Only thing I wish it had was a little more marbling.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats a winner! and not a chicken dinner,Beef its whats for supper.:;:thumbsup

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106