Headed to the Black Hills end of May

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone ever take the scenic byway/loop through the Buffalo Gap grasslands in South Dakota? Driven by it many times on the way to the Black Hills and am wondering if it’s worth the sidetrack?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
it is a bunch of prairie and bluffs i guess it isnt any thing special i would drive to go see

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
it is a bunch of prairie and bluffs i guess it isnt any thing special i would drive to go see

Thanks, if you're around Keystone Memorial weekend I'll buy you a whiskey! ;:;boozer

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I worked with The Great Plains grasslands back in the 1970's I think I may have walked a couple hundred miles in that area. Nice, but nothing different than prairie in many other areas.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We haven't gone through it in all our trips to the Black Hills. Way more to see in the Hills themselves.
You just going sight seeing or riding motorcycle or trike? ATV's or SXS's? Lots of good trail riding down there too!

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sightseeing...........cruise around in the mornings/early afternoons, then park the car in Keystone for eats and treats! Love that trip down there!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i can do keystone for about an hour then the tourists drive me crazy. We have a cabin rented this year third week of july out by terry peak with my wifes whole family. I am taking a day and night to give the new elk hunting gear a once over in the woods so looking forward to that

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't say why as I'm not much of a people person, but I've always enjoyed that place. Able to walkabout having a drink or two in different places. Park the car and there's several watering holes in walking distance so no dui worries.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went through there on the way back from Rockies on 10 day bike trip last year. Seen plenty of bufs, few deer. Nice but nothing special.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
going to get jacked up in deadwood for St Patty's day. should be epic

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This : Closed on Sunday
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...y.com/&usg=AFQjCNG_LWkohradm3xSWUMG20r91NIxog

- - - Updated - - -

If your out cruising the back roads this place in Rochford for a burger and homemade French fries and a Sarsaparilla or beer is worth the trip too ! That will put you three miles from my cabin .
IMG_0959.jpg

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really...I've camped in the Castle Peak campground a few times. Its been quite a few years now however. My brother has been going there once or twice a year for a while now.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are turning off the Rochford Deerfield road to get to Castle Peak campground you are less than 1/2 mile from me when you turn off the gravel .

- - - Updated - - -

You'll have to tell him to try out Black Fox campground . Easier access and more open . There's a cool little waterfall above the campground about a mile . This is where Rapid Creek gets started via springs everywhere . Then a few miles downstream Rapid Creek and Castle Creek which flows thru your campground connect and then it's just called Rapid Creek the rest of the way to the Cheyenne River past Rapid City .
IMG_0960.JPG

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive been in n out of Castle peak both ways numerous times.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
MZ
Your cabin isn't far from Sugar Shack then?
We camp at Mystic Hills Campground.
Been looking for a cabin down there but way too expensive. OR looking for small acreage that we could park on but land is crazy high priced. We like the south of Deadwood area.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
3 miles out of Rochford on the road to Deerfield . 14 miles from the Sugar Shack . Yeah you used to be able to buy land up there just about anywhere for $1000 an acre . Now you can figure ten to 50 times that without any improvements . Way more if there is septic tank and water involved . Paid $15,000 for two acres and the cabin back in 85 . Had a guy offer $125,000 last summer and the first thing he was going to do was burn the cabin down and rebuild . Taxes back then were around 500 now their over 3000 . Welcome to Katmandu !
67561_167201239958060_5637892_n.jpg

Last edited:

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
My family has a cabin in Custer State Park. We were there over the weekend and did make a quick trip to get popcorn and taffy in Keystone. I dusted off the fly rod and was able to coax in a few nice rainbows out of French Creek as well. Love that place!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
3 miles out of Rochford on the road to Deerfield . 14 miles from the Sugar Shack . Yeah you used to be able to buy land up there just about anywhere for $1000 an acre . Now you can figure ten to 50 times that without any improvements . Way more if there is septic tank and water involved . Paid $15,000 for two acres and the cabin back in 85 . Had a guy offer $125,000 last summer and the first thing he was going to do was burn the cabin down and rebuild . Taxes back then were around 500 now their over 3000 . Welcome to Katmandu !
th-13.jpeg

That is just insane how much things have gone up. The taxes are crazy high too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 115
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69