Smoked Pork Should recipe suggestion

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, I bought a 9-pound, bone-in pork shoulder because it was on sale for 98 cents/pound. Thought it would be great smoked and then shredded for all sorts of BBQ goodness.

Anyone have a rub/brine/smoke recipe they care to share?

Thanks!

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never brined one before. Don't think its needed. Usually just buy a store-bought rub. Put some mustard or olive oil on the outside first and then put a generous amount of rub all over. I've injected mine with apple juice before, but not necessary. I usually smoke with hickory/apple combo, although my next one I am going to try pecan. Usually spritz with apple juice every hour or so. After internal temp reaches 160, I've wrapped and thrown back in the smoker to 205 (put beer or apple juice in the bottom of a foil pan and wrap in foil). Smoke to 205 and it will be eating it before you can even pull it all apart it will be so tender. I also add some more rub into mine to give it a little extra taste after pulling. Some people don't wrap and just let it power through the stall. Might just take a bit longer than wrapping it. Lots of different options just based on your own taste preference and how much time you have. Usually takes me about 4 or 5 hours to get to 160 and another 3 or 4 to get to 205, but it seems like each piece is a bit different. Drinking beer while smoking is essential :;:cheers

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a rub I use. I will give you some. Wonder if KDM has tried the sample I gave him.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Low and slow,and remember,never serve swine before its time,meaning you can never over cook pork,pork shoulder or butt roast using apple wood is a perfect combination,hickory although good adds alittle tartness to your smoke flavor,pecan is also a good mild smoke.Injecting with apple juice as stated above add moisture and sweet flavor.

campcook

Founding Member
Founding Member
Given the photos posted here by Mossy Mo, why would you even consult the "B" Team?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, I bought a 9-pound, bone-in pork shoulder because it was on sale for 98 cents/pound. Thought it would be great smoked and then shredded for all sorts of BBQ goodness.

Anyone have a rub/brine/smoke recipe they care to share?

Thanks!

great price - where?

google "memphis rub" and make it from scratch from whole ingredients - apply that 48 hours prior to smoke - then slather the beast with yellow mustard and molasses 24 hours prior

smoke at 210F for 4-5 hours then no more smoke for me - continue low/slow same temp for 12-16 hours total for mine

in other words if you are eating at noon or early afternoon then start at 6 pm the night before

once it hits 195 I foil wrap it, towel wrap, cooler it until serving time

google "vaunted vinegar" and try that
#wagsdrizzlesitonporklikedab

- - - Updated - - -

ps - make a good size batch of Memphis rub - you'll use it a lot if you make it from scratch yourself

- - - Updated - - -

bone-in... you did good - need that bone!

- - - Updated - - -

buy these Bear Claws from amazon - they're awesome

91VqHwLTg6L._SL1500_.jpg

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never brined one before. Don't think its needed. Usually just buy a store-bought rub. Put some mustard or olive oil on the outside first and then put a generous amount of rub all over. I've injected mine with apple juice before, but not necessary. I usually smoke with hickory/apple combo, although my next one I am going to try pecan. Usually spritz with apple juice every hour or so. After internal temp reaches 160, I've wrapped and thrown back in the smoker to 205 (put beer or apple juice in the bottom of a foil pan and wrap in foil). Smoke to 205 and it will be eating it before you can even pull it all apart it will be so tender. I also add some more rub into mine to give it a little extra taste after pulling. Some people don't wrap and just let it power through the stall. Might just take a bit longer than wrapping it. Lots of different options just based on your own taste preference and how much time you have. Usually takes me about 4 or 5 hours to get to 160 and another 3 or 4 to get to 205, but it seems like each piece is a bit different. Drinking beer while smoking is essential :;:cheers

Holy crap -- potentially 7-9 hours of watching meat smoke and drinking beer. I may need to smoke more often!

- - - Updated - - -

great price - where?

Cashwise!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I season my pork butt 24 to 48 hours before smoking. I have used Grillmates Applewood Rub, Famous Dave's Rib Rub, Tone's Sweet and Spicy, Grillmates Brown Sugar Bourbon seasoning. Last one I did I used a combination of apple wood and hickory wood. I smoked it for 6 hours on 230 degrees then wrapped it with tin foil and put it in the oven for 4 hour at 300 degrees. If you are pulling it apart, I think you cannot over cook it as long as you keep the moisture in the meat.................. Sunday I BBQed bone in pork ribs, when I seasoned them Saturday, my wife thought I was nuts with the amount of seasoning I put on them, but come Sunday, after I had BBQed them she thought they were great.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
# guywhoismuchmasterofsmokingstuff has pretty much stated what I didn't have time to type. My rub is a type of Memphis style and I started making a vinegar bbq sauce for drizzle or dip and it's awesome.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually just throw a bunch of spices together for a dry rub and let it sit for a day. I smoke it at 225 for 5 hours. Put in pan add apple juice and cover for another 6 hours at 225.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
My cheat method is to get it smoking at 225 around 6-7pm, make sure everything stabilizes out for smoke temp by 10pm and then fall asleep on couch till 1-2 am, wake up put in crock pot on low with just a little bit of apple juice and cider vinegar, wake up make hangover medacine (use imagination ) while house smells like smoked porky goodness, remove from pot to rest a little on a pan, pull add just a little more rub and juices from crock pot, then consume.

norm70

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did 2 on Saturday went to my old go to. Inject with a morgan/dr pepper mix let it sit overnight. In the morning rubbed with honey and packed brown sugar on the honey. Put it on as high as my electric would go(I think in the cold it got up to 230) smoked until it hit 165. I use a mix of hickory and cherry. I fill a spray bottle with morgan/dr pepper and spray a few times (Saturday only twice too cold to open the smoker more) If Im not taking it to temp in the smoker I usually throw in the oven like I did Saturday. Now I may get lynched by traditional smokers for this, but I've done PP for a grooms dinner and couple birthday parties and been smokin it up for about 15 yeard, At 165 I like to get it to 195-200 quick as I can it seems to taste better and pull easier for me. I throw the oven on 350 and usually it is finished in less that 3 hrs in the oven. Works for me when I dont take it to temp in my smoker.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
If pulling apart eventually, whats the point of low and slow once you are done smoking it? Why not just cook it covered at 300 to 350 til its ready to fall apart once the smoking is finished?

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
If pulling apart eventually, whats the point of low and slow once you are done smoking it? Why not just cook it covered at 300 to 350 til its ready to fall apart once the smoking is finished?

It literally won't pull if you did that. You'd end up slicing. Don't ask me how I know.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
It wont pull righy away. But, it will after its been at 190 or 200 fot a few hours and it will save a few hours cause it will get to that temp quicker. No? Ive pulled beef and pork before after just oven cooking in a roaster and they were only in like 4 or 5 hours i think.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
It wont pull righy away. But, it will after its been at 190 or 200 fot a few hours and it will save a few hours cause it will get to that temp quicker. No? Ive pulled beef and pork before after just oven cooking in a roaster and they were only in like 4 or 5 hours i think.

I usually smoke around 225-250 for the 1st 4 hours and then increase to 300 ish for shoulder if it is not getting over the plateau or we just don't feel like waiting for 12 hours. Once the shoulder gets to 195°, it will shred. Pork shoulder and beef shoulder cuts are more forgiving of a fast, higher temp cook. The trick is keeping it moist and not over cooking it and drying it out at higher temps.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70