Rabbits in the garden

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walked out to the garden on Sunday morning to find two pepper plants chewed off at the stem. Wife told me she's chased a rabbit out of both neighbors yards the last couple days. I have to go hunting...without neighbors knowing. Anyone have some tips? I have a tree stand in the garage and a big maple in the back yard. I don't want to resort to that...well kinda but I know I'll get the cops called on me.

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
Set out a couple little foot traps in a trail around the plants. Try to make a hindrance so the rabbits are forced to go towards the trap. Whack them in the head, skin them, and make a stew or hassenpfeffer. Good eating.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot every bunny and associated garden eating vermin that I can get a bead on

Royce is an awesome 2nd set of eyes as he has a certain tone to his bark/whine that alerts me of vermin vs normal "odd noise" or people walking by barks - he even knows that barking at gray squirrels is useless (I only shoot those in season - YUM)

he knows I'll shoot, then he'll get turned loose to finish the job if less than lethal impact was made

he goes BONKERS when he hears the pellet gun get cocked. when I walk toward the door after shooting he spins 360s crapping his pants in anticipation

he was on the wrong end of a spinal inured vermin a couple days ago - got bit up pretty good. He doesn't do the "death shake" near quick enough yet, but every vermin gets him quicker to the death shake than the one before

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have neighbors in pretty close proximity. So it me going towards an air rifle, sling shot, or bow. however, I want to get high enough to have to shoot down. Its either that or traps.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had success with rabbits and live traps - but figuring out bait that rabbits like but squirrels don't was a drag. Regular old bunny chow pellets worked in winter but not in summer. I think apple slices and carrots were tops if memory serves me correctly. Now I just pelletize the vermin.

Or set up a pellet gun backstop (pink foam insulation glued to plywood) in a very shootable location and put bait in front of it.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those 22 squib loads, I forget what they are called, but they work well and are quieter than a pellet. I also have a blow gun that I have dispatched several rabbits with, it usually takes a couple darts and sometimes they scream bloody murder during the process. Also you could set up an area they are forced to go through and try to snare them, I did that last summer, where they come under my dads fence. Lots of options, try them all. One thing you dont wanna do tho is chase them out of your yard when you see them. That just teaches them to come back when you arent around and makes dispatching them more difficult.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rabbit fences if the gun thing doesn't work.
Shooting in town is a felonious adventure

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never thought of a blow gun. I agree juaner. I don't want to shoot a pellet gun in town.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would be funny to learn mike's neighbors were having same problems and wanted to blast away - but they too were afraid to shoot.

i agree - don't shoot if it's not cool or backdrop is questionable.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try your hand at a dead fall type trap, watching that Naked and Afraid show the other night and the dude was killing and eating rats like crazy. Think of it as survival training.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.ortho.com/smg/goprod/ort...llent-granules-animal-repellents/prod10790020

Try this and let me know how it works I also have and have had rabbit problems the last couple years. Used the bow to get rid of a few, was told by an older lady to sprinkle red pepper flakes on the ground in and around your garden to repel them. Did the red pepper trick this year and so far seems to working alright, but also haven't seen as many rabbits running this year either.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think that with every neighbor having an ankle biter, bark at all times of the night, generally annoying dogs, there wouldn't be any vermin around. That and the two 100+ pound husky's in behind us that do their best impersonation of a siren, all sirens.

who wants to go fishing.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.ortho.com/smg/goprod/ort...llent-granules-animal-repellents/prod10790020

Try this and let me know how it works I also have and have had rabbit problems the last couple years. Used the bow to get rid of a few, was told by an older lady to sprinkle red pepper flakes on the ground in and around your garden to repel them. Did the red pepper trick this year and so far seems to working alright, but also haven't seen as many rabbits running this year either.

I'll grab some tonight! thanks.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rabbit fences if the gun thing doesn't work.
Shooting in town is a felonious adventure

Mike, visit your neighbors. Chances are they are sick of the bastards too and would love to have you "hunt their land". My father in law is on rabbit # 14 and he live in town too.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
The red ryder out the window has been doing alright for me this year.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
From my mom, who has the greenest thumb in town (Bismarck), human hair works. Get it free from a barber or beauty shop, then spread around on the ground in your garden. Looks like someone went wookie-whacking with tannerite, but they don't like the smell or something...

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
From my mom, who has the greenest thumb in town (Bismarck), human hair works. Get it free from a barber or beauty shop, then spread around on the ground in your garden. Looks like someone went wookie-whacking with tannerite, but they don't like the smell or something...
I have heard this too but who wants to put a bunch of hair around the garden which contains food you plan on eating especially someone else's hair.... Ick..... Wasn't to found of this idea have also heard dog or cat hair works too. Just wasn't found of have hairballs placed around the garden

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62