Box Length for fishing pickup.

What box length?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RRmaniac

Established Member
For a fishing pickup what is the best box length? Also for 2-4 people what cab?

RRmaniac

Established Member
Currently have an 8 ft and carry a clam denali, otter medium sled, two jiffys, and a few more things.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use an 8' and a small atv trailer... for myself or a couple friends... my clam trap, 2 augers, a hub a 4 wheeler and most anything we need... can get to the lake and drop the trailer and split up to find fish then meet back up where the fish are

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both of my pickups have a 6.5. If I wanted a pickup that I couldn't haul anything in I would get a SUV.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
6.5 for me was looking for that length because of ice house anything smaller didnt work.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wish the extended cab on the F150 was just a little bigger. Don't need the back seat for people very often but would be nice to have just a bit more room back there for when I do while still having the 6.5' box. Could go crew cab with the 6.5' but that's a bit bigger than I want for an everyday vehicle. Other options?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both of my pickups have a 6.5. If I wanted a pickup that I couldn't haul anything in I would get a SUV.

Funny, my pickup has a 6.5' bed, with a tonneau cover. And we have two mid-sized SUV's. For hauling smaller things, say, boxes, the SUV can haul as much (with the seats folded down) as the pickup.

Still, nothing hauls smelly crap better than an open box.

Heh heh, I said "open box".

onpoint!

Established Member
8' with topper - only way to fly for fishing or hunting imo. Don't unload portable or accessories unless weeks between outings, sled and all accessories and clothing fit, makes a quick trip for a couple hours easy without packing all the crap. Pull the trailer with 4x4 or sled just in case access sucks. Fall hunting is same story, put dog kennels and hunting bags/clothes in back and roll all fall. I don't use the truck for other day duty, so not too concerned with security where I live.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
6.5' crew, holds just about everthing you need, but still easy to park.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Ford crew cab with 6.5 box. Pretty much anything will fit and it's comfortable for 4 guys and gear.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
With a 8ft box I have a tool box and can still fit wheeler and my clam 4person and all my gear and still hall 4 - 5 people if needed it's like parking a limo but I try to stay away from town if I can lol

Redneck1

Of course a pickup box should be a min of 6.5. It would be ridiculous to have anything shorter than that. The pickup should also have a 5.7 hemi with 3.92 rear axle ratio, at a min.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing but a crew cab for us.
We have both 8' box and a 6.5' box. Have the 8' on a dually. Yes it is long but all my life we have had 8' boxes on pickups so not a big deal to us. Crew cab adds some length but not a big deal as you are aware of your surroundings. Did see a newer dually the other day and must have been his first one or his wife drove it as the passenger fender was smashed by driving too close to something and not figuring on the rear wider fenders. Can happen easily just have to remember what you are driving.
We have the 6.5' on a 3/4 ton Duramax and love it too. Depends on what one needs at the time. We wouldn't go smaller than 6.5' for us.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Extended cab with 8ft box and extra high topper. Open water fishing have bed in back so me and pooch can stay where ever we want.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77