Montana Big Game Combo Tags

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Applications are due tomorrow for those that forgot/are interested. I'm already excited to have bugling bulls in my lap. Good luck folks.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Applications are due tomorrow for those that forgot/are interested. I'm already excited to have bugling bulls in my lap. Good luck folks.

Yep i go over maps daily of where we are going back to Idaho. Talk about an addiction elk hunting pretty much is what every thing else is planned around

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have yet to sell out of these tags since jacking up the fee's...there will be leftovers.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never applied for these. Is it in specific units? How does it all work? Thanks

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never applied for these. Is it in specific units? How does it all work? Thanks

Too much info to type. General big game combo tags work in general units only. There are special draw units that tend to have more a trophy type reputation and those tags are harder to come by. Go on the Montana website. It's spelled out pretty well. Got my app in today. Let the anticipation begin.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have yet to sell out of these tags since jacking up the fee's...there will be leftovers.

Wouldn't count on it . They sold out last year and have been trending that way . Deer combos will be gone in the drawing

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do they still allow you to send them back (minus the 10% or whatever) if you don't draw your special unit?

Basically, you apply for the combo. Once you get that, you can apply for the special units. The unit we used to apply for was like 8% odds. Enough better over the counter options that we quit trying for that unit.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do they still allow you to send them back (minus the 10% or whatever) if you don't draw your special unit?

Basically, you apply for the combo. Once you get that, you can apply for the special units. The unit we used to apply for was like 8% odds. Enough better over the counter options that we quit trying for that unit.

Yes, you can apply and if you don't get your special permit you get 80% back . Of if you originally applied for the big game combo and a elk permit, if you get denied the elk permit, you can elect to keep the deer combo and get $309 back for the elk part of the combo. Or you can keep the entire combo and hunt general units.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Last time I hunted Montana Combo was 1987 and the cost was 450 then. How much now?

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
Got mine in Friday! Did notice that for special archery permits you have to buy the bow and arrow tag to apply for them now. Wonder if they will refund some money to a guy since you have to get the state lands and conservation license before you can get the bow and arrow tag since those are part of the combo.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No and there will be a lot of people turned down because they did not know you needed the bow cert or what ever it is called. It was just on the rich outdoors pod cast. Cody Rich has some good info.

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wouldn't count on it . They sold out last year and have been trending that way . Deer combos will be gone in the drawing

Did they really? dang it I never payed attention last year most previous years i remember them having tons left over. Was just gunna pick up an extra deer combo with some friends. may have to go to plan B. Do you know when the drawing is held?

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you hunt archery then you need a $10.00 (I think it's still this amount) archery permit/tag. Last time I hunted archery in MT I forgot to get one with my combo tag, but I was able to stop at Cabela's in Billings and pick one up there.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did they really? dang it I never payed attention last year most previous years i remember them having tons left over. Was just gunna pick up an extra deer combo with some friends. may have to go to plan B. Do you know when the drawing is held?

Once CO and WY licenses caught up to MT's $$ people again started flowing to wherever tags were easiest to get. In 2014 a buddy was able to buy a deer combo tag online during the week of July 4th. Last yr I wasn't able to get my FIL a leftover deer combo tag in May. Pretty sure they sold out of big game (elk/deer) combos by Septemberish last yr too.

$$ is due today. Results are posted ~4-5wks later IIRC.

- - - Updated - - -

No and there will be a lot of people turned down because they did not know you needed the bow cert or what ever it is called. It was just on the rich outdoors pod cast. Cody Rich has some good info.

Rolling back the memory rolodex which is shaky at best, but, isn't previously having an archery tag from your home state akin to "certification"?

Yotkilr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Then a brain fart thought this was an older post and i missed the deadline. Just got mine sent in and text my buddy's told them to also get in before tonight all is good. Thanks Ghost for starting the post saved me this year. I apply and build points in 10 different states occasionally space one out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66