North Dakota State "B" Boys Basketball Tournament (GO STANLEY BLUE JAYS)

Honkerherms

Founding Member
Founding Member
My hat is off to my Alma Mater the Stanley Blue Jays for having a great season and making the state tournament after waiting since 1938 to get back to the big show! You may have drawn the number one seed, but they too can be beat -- heads held high playing your best! Go Blue Jays!

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:

1pingonly

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congratulations and its great to see some new blood in the tournament from out that way..not the same old year in year out... shiloh, oak grove, our redeemers, ryan, trinity etc etc ... plus 4 winds. My son and I will be heading to Minot again this year..they had some great crowds last year and now with Stanley, Hillsboro, Ellendale, and Turtle Lake -- those towns will draw well too. Should be a good tournament.

GSIOUXO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go Stanley......cheering for anyone else that plays Minot, Fargo, and Dickinson

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tournament Schedule:
Thursday, March 16
1 p.m. #2 Dickinson Trinity (22-2) vs. Ellendale (20-5)
2:45 p.m. #3 Hillsboro-Central Valley (21-3) vs. Turtle Lake-Mercer-McClusky (17-7)
6:30 p.m. #1 Four Winds-Minnewaukan (23-1) vs. Stanley (19-6)
8:15 p.m. #4 Oak Grove (19-4) vs. #5 Bishop Ryan (23-2)

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go anyone but Dickinson, Fargo or Minot "and usually Bismarck" .

Fixed it for ya.
I hope one day they can have their own parochial only state tourney.....

1pingonly

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is always talk around the state of a seperate division, one option is all the private schools and the tribals. Or a new class system AA-- largest A-- 24 larger sized schools (Grafton Valley City, Watford, Beulah,etc and maybe the private schools go with this) and then the rest of the state B. I dont know what the answer is but I do feel for the smaller class B schools who have the Private schools in their region... maybe one year out of ten a school like Solen or Max would have a good team who could beat a Shiloh or a Glenburn or a Drake-Anamoose beating Ryan... chances for schools like that to make it to a state tournament are tough..but when it does happen (like Stanley this year), its great to see. I dont think the NDSHAA wants to mess with the cash cow they have now with the state B.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0ieRI4FK_c

- - - Updated - - -

I love this time of year. Class B boys state tournament is hard to beat. Then you also have march madness. Im happy

- - - Updated - - -

I lived in Stanley for 4 years as well so I would like to see them do well. But like others said anyone but the big towns.

1pingonly

Founding Member
Founding Member
wow, that was fun (video)...my new tournament favorites!! Tough first round draw but if they can defend and rebound, they have as good a chance as anyone.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
It is kinda simple math, take the total number of parochial/private schools in the state and see what percentage of them make it to state each year above their percentage of total B schools?

37% of the State B teams are parochial/private schools. 3 out of 8 kinda seems normal over the lat few years??

What percentage of class B schools are parochial/private?

In past threads people have claimed it is about how hard kids work, coaches ect......but that simply doesn;t add up as there are nonparochial/private schools who's kids work hard and have good coaches ect...

The B has been what it is over the years as the crowning high school sports event in our state becasue of the smaller schools and communities, a bit of that is being lost when towns like Minot, Fargo, Bismarck ect.... are the "home towns" and recruiting areas of these teams at state.

Anyways am cheering for Stanley as well and hoping TL does well.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
There weren't so many teams to hate back in my day...........we were all in agreement to just hate Hillsboro! ;:;rofl

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
My hat is off to my Alma Mater the Stanley Blue Jays for having a great season and making the state tournament after waiting since 1938 to get back to the big show! You may have drawn the number one seed, but they too can be beat -- heads held high playing your best! Go Blue Jays!

Thanks,
Jeff

1938!? Holy smokes, they were good when I played just couldn't quite get it done. I thought for sure they been there more than that.

1pingonly

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how many of the really small schools would still have their own teams if there had been a class C to compete in? (Have you seen how many kids Hillsboro Central Valley has out for basektball??? holy smokers, they have numbers.) On a related topic to the types of schools you see represented at the state tournaments, I think you'll start seeing more and more of the bedroom communities like Thompson, Kindred, even Hillsboro to some extent represented alongside the private schools. Not sure if its the same out west.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Won't be long and people will be trying to add four winds to the list of schools with the private ones that everyone is cheering against. Their recent success isn't a fluke; and from the looks of it, if Coach Smith sticks around there and keeps them boys out of trouble, they will be a tough out for a long time. I heard they had to cut something like 40 kids this year from the varsity team and they have gym fulls of kids as young as 4-5 years old playing all the time. If they don't repeat this year, it'll take an absolutely mistake free game and a little luck from somebody. Should be fun to watch.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep. they are fun to watch. wish i would've been in town to see them play st. john's last week. just the environment of the entire sports center packed with standing room only with the balcony bleachers full is great to take in. i guess they actually had to lock the doors at that game to keep people out as there was no place left to put them.

stanley will be a tough out though i think.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder how many of the really small schools would still have their own teams if there had been a class C to compete in? (Have you seen how many kids Hillsboro Central Valley has out for basektball??? holy smokers, they have numbers.) On a related topic to the types of schools you see represented at the state tournaments, I think you'll start seeing more and more of the bedroom communities like Thompson, Kindred, even Hillsboro to some extent represented alongside the private schools. Not sure if its the same out west.

No doubt!
I'd never been to Kindred, I was impressed how their girls played so I looked up the town on google. Wow 700 folks same as our small western ND town, I thought that was awesome! And then I looked up the number of kids in high school there ...300??? We have like 68, I had no idea they had Fargo families taking their kids there. I wasn't that impressed after I saw that..

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
No doubt!
I'd never been to Kindred, I was impressed how their girls played so I looked up the town on google. Wow 700 folks same as our small western ND town, I thought that was awesome! And then I looked up the number of kids in high school there ...300??? We have like 68, I had no idea they had Fargo families taking their kids there. I wasn't that impressed after I saw that..

same as Thompson recruiting gf area. It goes on all over

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure I'd call it "recruiting" with those schools, I'd be surprised if the schools had much say in it. More so motivated by one of 2 things:

A- parents want to raise kids in a smaller town close to the larger town they may work in; which can also mean they want their kids taught in a smaller environment rather than in those bigger schools
B- the parents are trying to relive their high school dream through their children and would rather see them play where there is more of a chance to stand out and less of a chance to get your feelings hurt by getting cut or sitting on the bench.

Fine line between those two, unfortunately with the recent times and the types of parents I've run into while hauling my son around to bball tourneys, I think option B is becoming more the norm

same as Thompson recruiting gf area. It goes on all over

e. -from the highlights on the news it looked like the old sportscenter was pretty packed and it was dam loud listening on the radio. I heard there was a pretty good line outside an hour or two before the 3rd place game even started. Kinda looked like when the evil Satans used to play there:;:thumbsup

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't it just a few years ago that a kid from Fargo felt he wasn't getting enough playing time at Davies so he went to Kindred and won a state championship, while his brother won one at Davies?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67