Is there a best time to buy a new shotgun?

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After shooting an old Model 12 hand me down my whole life, I've decided this year is the year for a new shotgun. After research and shouldering guns at Scheels, I've narrowed it down to a Beretta A300 Outlander.
This being the first shotgun I have ever bought, is there a time they go on sale or have other incentives? I would like to get it sometime this summer (or sooner) to make sure I can run a few boxes of shells through before fall seasons open.

- - - Updated - - -

Or are there places that have better prices than others? All the bigger stores (Cabelas, Scheels, Gander MTN, Bass Pro) are all pretty close on price. I used to think that Reeds had best prices, but they are right in line with the others on this gun.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
After shooting an old Model 12 hand me down my whole life, I've decided this year is the year for a new shotgun. After research and shouldering guns at Scheels, I've narrowed it down to a Beretta A300 Outlander.
This being the first shotgun I have ever bought, is there a time they go on sale or have other incentives? I would like to get it sometime this summer (or sooner) to make sure I can run a few boxes of shells through before fall seasons open.

- - - Updated - - -

Or are there places that have better prices than others? All the bigger stores (Cabelas, Scheels, Gander MTN, Bass Pro) are all pretty close on price. I used to think that Reeds had best prices, but they are right in line with the others on this gun.

A lot depends on the gun and how you're planning on purchasing it. The best time to buy any gun via online auction is within 2 months of Hillary Clinton losing a presidential election :-D

I generally buy used guns. Skeet/trap season will be underway shorty so demand is beginning to pick up for shotguns. More buyers = more bidders = higher prices.

If you're going the retail route, I'd say you've got several months before you really need the shotgun so just keep our eyes open and wait for sales, maybe accrue some gift cards while you wait.

No experience with the 300 Outlander but I've owned a number of Beretta's and they really make quality stuff.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pay no attention to Bed Wetter. Unless its black, has a detachable hundred round mag and tenth level tacticool, he doesn't know shit.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might see some spring turkey season shotgun sales. I'd watch Scheels, Cabelas, Reeds, Bud's Gun Shop, and Walmart. Unlikely you're going to find one appreciably cheaper than what one of those 5 will offer. Throw Wittakers in the mix as well.

Last edited:

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF is correct I would look online at buds gun shop or gunbroker .com much much cheaper prices. I picked up a brand new Benelli M2 for $925 that that included the $25 transfer fee

- - - Updated - - -

It's a bit scary buying and paying for a gun to have them ship it to a FFL at first but Mandan sporting goods is top notch and handle transfers well

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gunbroker or buds. Have gotten great deals from both.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I buy most of my guns local I like to keep my money in town. If we lose the local brick and mortar store then we are at the mercy of the big corporations. Just remember what cheaper then dirt did after sandy hook. Check out the loft ask them what their best price is they always come down off the sticker price. I have bought some guns from dry dock. They were very nice to deal with.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know where you are located but check lemers true value in harvey ND great couple of guys to deal with and usually make it worth the drive I have bought a few guns from there and scheels wouldn't even match the price even after I asked scheels to price match.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I buy most of my guns local I like to keep my money in town. If we lose the local brick and mortar store then we are at the mercy of the big corporations. Just remember what cheaper then dirt did after sandy hook. Check out the loft ask them what their best price is they always come down off the sticker price. I have bought some guns from dry dock. They were very nice to deal with.

Agree with everything above. Figure if I check Scheels and then the websites of the other 5 retailers I mentioned a person will have a pretty fair idea what the best price will be.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pay no attention to Bed Wetter. Unless its black, has a detachable hundred round mag and tenth level tacticool, he doesn't know shit.

Ghost has a point.

My last primary hunting shotgun came from Scheels. I've heard of negative customer experiences in Minot but I've purchased a lot of guns from Jeremy R. at the Bismarck Scheels over the years and several of the guys in the Fargo Scheels gun department as well. It blows my mind that brick-n-mortar stores can still compete with the internet but we're fortunate to have some gems. Outdoorsman in Fargo is also competitively priced on a number of guns. But alas, my proclivities drive me towards a lot of stuff you won't find at any gun shop in ND so I buy a lot online. Paying retail for optics is another thing I just can't do.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know remington usually offers rebates right before season so Aug Sep. I won a A300 a few years ago and really like it.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
you asshats should buy local, so companies like magi-touch carpet one can buy their 8th awesomely accessorized chev row let suburban

WHATEVER you do don't use the likes of gunbroker.com OR efloors.com during one of their many free shipping promotions.....

yall act like 'your business' is making sure every one of your hard-earned cents is spent in a fashion most economically and frugally beneficial to YOUR family?!?!!

how dare u. There are business-owning families that need to live in 5,000 sq ft + homes in southport and/or Lakewood....

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fracman I agree keeping it local makes a guy feel warm and fuzzy inside. But as a local business you better do something to keep my business. We all work hard for our money and I'll be damed if I pay $300 more at scheels who's customer service has gotten to be about as bad as I have encountered.
For example had my wife who was in the mall go get some fed215 match grade rifle primers. Many many associates walked by wouldn't help. So she sought one out asked to have some fed 215 primers. Told her whatever is in the case is it. Well they weren't there so she left she then texted her brother who works in the back and sends a pictures of 10 bricks ( 1000) primers per brick So he set them at customer service for us. Point of the story if you want my business treat me the same as if I'm buying primers or a fancy gun from you cuz a guy who has primers likely had guns. I will never buy a gun from scheels. Call me what you want

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There was a time where I could not buy guns at scheels in Fargo. I guess calling a salesman a dick head thief gets your name on their customer service list.:;:exactly

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suppose I have told this story before. I have bought a few guns from Scheels, but I had fun with a salesman in Fargo Scheels many years ago when the 300WSM just came out. I went in and asked for one. The salesman asked "what do you want it for". Those of us who frequent sporting goods stores know this means they don't have one. I said deer hunting. He says "you don't need a 300WSM for deer, this is about the best deer rifle you can get". It was a Winchester model 70 in 270 Winchester. I said "yes that's a very nice rifle and I like the caliber too". He says "should we write it up". I said "nope, got one just like it". He said "then why would you want a 300WSM". I said "I might want to use it for elk". He said "elk, then you want this rifle right here". It was a nice Remington 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag. I said "now your talking that's a perfect elk and deer rifle". He got a big smile and said "should we write her up". I said "nope got one exactly like it". He got this big scowl and said then what the H do you want a 300WSM for". I said "I just want one do I really need a reason". He walked off and wouldn't talk to me anymore. Actually with the heavy Sendero I was looking for a short action walking rifle with the same capabilities. I bought a Browning A bolt in 300WSM from them a short time later.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
You probably won't save much waiting on a brand new gun, there are standard retail prices and the dealerships do not move too far from them if they are running a promotion. If it has to be brand new just go get it and start shooting. You won't regret spending a few extra bucks by being able to use it sooner. You will find deals on used guns if you're patient.

Looks like a sweet gun, let us know how you like it!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77