bait casters and rods

WLYHNTR

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whats everyones favorite baitcaster and rod pairing? Looking at purchasing 2 for pulling spinners/rigs

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's really hard to beat the St. Croix Eyecon bounce 'n' troll. Love them for bouncing and river fishing.

- - - Updated - - -

I run Shimano Calcutta 100b reels on mine. They are an awesome pair, but you could go for a less expensive reel for bouncing.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get something with a flip-n-switch.
scheels Dominator or Quantum Accurist are great reels

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
flip-n-switch is a must have for pulling spinners.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
abu garcia silver max (cheap with flippin switch) and because you are trolling bottom bouncers no need for an expensive st croix rod... get a scheels guide series medium medium.... should be about a $160 combo and if you wait till they are on sale you can probably get that down to about $120

- - - Updated - - -

or you can go fish the one I lost on 8lb island in van hook up and it's free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rusty's right, I probably have 8-10 scheels setups like that.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
st.croix bounce and troll rod is 100-120 dollars and light years better than a scheels guide series imo

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
flippin switch reels are getting hard to find. very few made anymore. I tried the garcia silver max and it was a pile of crap. bought an accurist and it was awesome so I bought some more. I actually bought some older Daiwa units off ebay and they are excellent. give next to nothing for them.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
i agree wags a st croix is a better rod... but for bottom bouncers you are not looking for the finesse or feeling you need from a jigging rod... and to top it off it is a scheels rod i recommend because if a kid or drunk step brother steps on it in the boat they will probably return it for you... not to mention if you want a better rod tuned up customs apex pro, I'm sure they can come up with a medium medium rod for bottom bouncing but after meeting those guys they are probably going to tell you "hey you don't need to spend $500 on a rod to drag lead around the bottom of the lake"

- - - Updated - - -

i agree eyexer... the abu isnt a great reel, don't try to cast with it... set the brake about as tight as it will go and drop your anchor of a bottom bouncer down and it won't rats nest on you

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
i agree wags a st croix is a better rod... but for bottom bouncers you are not looking for the finesse or feeling you need from a jigging rod... and to top it off it is a scheels rod i recommend because if a kid or drunk step brother steps on it in the boat they will probably return it for you... not to mention if you want a better rod tuned up customs apex pro, I'm sure they can come up with a medium medium rod for bottom bouncing but after meeting those guys they are probably going to tell you "hey you don't need to spend $500 on a rod to drag lead around the bottom of the lake"

- - - Updated - - -

i agree eyexer... the abu isnt a great reel, don't try to cast with it... set the brake about as tight as it will go and drop your anchor of a bottom bouncer down and it won't rats nest on you
few days after I got it the while set to "flippin" the thumb bar wouldn't return on it's own.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
abu garcia is not the highest quality anything... but most of their stuff will get the job done... I haven't had a thumb bar do that yet and I'm on my 4th one

Huskerdu

Established Member
I have a pair bouncer/trolling rods with the small Okuma line counters , dual use combos.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
7' Scheels guide medium heavy with Scheels reels. Alternate handles one for right hand and one for left, flipping reels are a must. Don't get caught up in spending a bunch of money for live bait setups, it's not necessary.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Idk about rods but there's been some raving on Facebook lately about sixgill fishing... They just had a BOGO on there site for a new baitcaster. You can buy there products on Amazon as well they having a spinning reel for $18 I want to try!!

Here's one of there baitcaster
Typhoon Series Casting Reel (6.3:1, Right) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZBVJ78/?tag=nodakangler10-20

The $18 10BB spinning reel
Spinning Fishing Reel 500 1000 2000 3000 Sixgill Fishing Karve Series (3000) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA54PVJ/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76