ATV Trailer Length??

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the purchase of my new ATV and hauling it back to the house in the back of an 8 ft truck bed, I realized I'm probably going to need a trailer not only for convenience, but for longer hauls. With the tracks, I figure I'll need at least 12 ft, but would like to know if anyone has some thoughts and suggestions on the subject. I can use my enclosed 14 ft trailer for long range hunting trips, but need one for trapline and every day use. Thanks!!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
14' will allow you to leave a tub/sled hooked up on the trailer. Drive on, drive off with the whole rig.

IMG_1480.jpg

14' trailer, 750 King Quad, Frabil Predator.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well there's a pretty picture!!! Me likey!! Looking at side rails and a drive on ramp as well. Thanks!!!

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
77x12 is the perfect size for atv with tracks. I would suggest going with the 83x14 right away. Not that much more money and if you decide to upgrade to a side x side with tracks you won't have to get a new trailer. A wise man told me this a few years ago when I was in your situation and I didn't listen. After spending money on side x side with tracks and realizing my trailer wasn't going to work, another $2500 for trailer wasn't in the budget but had to cough it up.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
You two shlepps are costing me more money. I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to tell mama KDM on you guys and THEN you'll be sorry!!!!

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
A trailer is also safer than loading on a pickup box. I've had a hook break on my aluminum ramps while loading in back of a pickup. Not fun. Also have about tipped an atv over backwards loading with a sprayer on with 10 gallons of water in it. I bought a 16' trailer with back ramp and side loading feature. I do really like it as its so much safer. I'd say buy a trailer big enough that if in the future you want a skid fishhouse you'll have room for both. You could also go with a small enough trailer that your atv with tracks fits on but is still light enough that you can pull it behind your atv.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You two shlepps are costing me more money. I hate to do this, but I'm going to have to tell mama KDM on you guys and THEN you'll be sorry!!!!

tell her don't hit me in the face and I bruise easily.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If just for quick trips a 12 foot single axle utility trailer with a flip up back ramp will do just fine for a reasonable price.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i had a model #8314 - 83"x14' with a fold down ramp and 2 side ramps... the side ramp option would b nice for fishing or hunting trips with a buddy for a 2nd machine...

realize that getting too fancy of a utility trailer will get you into entry level car haulers, which might also be useful at times... and the longer they r the easier to back up...

here is my go to trailer site... they list prices and run a little cheaper than anywhere else i've found in the state by bout 10% if you wanna go for a drive...

good luck...

http://ludensinc.com/inventory/trailers/trailers-bumper-pull-flatbeds/

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Raider!! Hadn't thought about the "2-machine" hunting trip. Got me thinkin' anyway!!

Srputz

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you figure out what you want give Rick at hwy 13,one stop in lamoure a call. He's been good to deal with for me. Good luck

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Raider!! Hadn't thought about the "2-machine" hunting trip. Got me thinkin' anyway!!

I can get a 2nd rig like mine or a sled/house combo on the other side as well. It's a drive-off V-front so you jackknife it when you get where you're going, put the ramp on the front and drive both rigs off. Put the ramp on the rear to load. Ramp (Bi-fold) stores under the rear on a shelf with retainer bars.

Mrs. KDM can join the club of angry wives/girlfriends who are unappreciative of my "help" (grin)

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I guess no one told you about ATV ownership. Its like BOAT. You know Break Out Another Thousand. Just have not figured out the ATV yet.

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure what other uses you'd have for the trailer, but I have a 10' single axle aluminum atv trailer and a 16' car trailer. I use the car trailer 75% of the time. It pulls nicer and doesn't bounce like the single axle trailer and it's easier to back up. Plus I can drive my SxS on it with my flip over house still attached, strap them both down and hit the road. If you think you could use a little bigger trailer for hauling larger or heavier cargo, I'd seriously consider a lighter duty car trailer.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 16 ft by 83" wide trailer. Perfect for hauling a Honda Pioneer and a Clam Denali combo.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you want steel or aluminum? I bought an aluminum trailer a year ago. If you are planning on having it for the rest of your life or want good resale, go with aluminum. I called around ND, SD, and MN on brand and pricing in triton, Aluma and Breartrack. Prices do vary. I went with beartrack and bought it from a mom and pop atv dealership in the town they are made. They had the best price plus they negotiated. I can be more helpful with information if you are looking to go this route. Good luck.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can get a 2nd rig like mine or a sled/house combo on the other side as well. It's a drive-off V-front so you jackknife it when you get where you're going, put the ramp on the front and drive both rigs off. Put the ramp on the rear to load. Ramp (Bi-fold) stores under the rear on a shelf with retainer bars.

Mrs. KDM can join the club of angry wives/girlfriends who are unappreciative of my "help" (grin)

I believe she is a "Founding" member of THAT club............you double schlepp!!!!!

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just picked up a 6.5'x12' aluminum trailer with the wood bed about a month ago from OT trailers in Bismarck. Solid built trailer and pulls like a dream. Going to set it up with ski guides and track mats to run the sled up on it without destroying the trailer. Probably should have been thinking more about my ice fishing setup when I bought it because I haven't checked if my wheeler/clam will fit on it all hooked up.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76