Line Preference

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's your preferred line for vertical jigging or for pitching jigs & why?

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
powerpro superslick, and nanofil. I really like nanofil a lot but it isnt the most abrasion resistant. I always run 2-4 foot flouro leaders in various lb test on all jigging/pitching rods

- - - Updated - - -

the why is because they both cast extremely well. Nanofil is an especially sensitive line for pitching - can feel bites or see line jump easily when on partially slack line (think snap jigging or when its windy)

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Powerpro for me. I haven't tried nanofil, but have heard great things about it for casting.

jm-nitro

I prefer a non stretch line like fireline or nanofil. Nanofil is my favorite especially if im casting or pitching (it is smooth). The thinner diameter really helps keep your line vertical. One of the best attributes of a non stretch line is the sensitivity. However non stretch is not always the way to go givin different circumstances. Sometimes you need a different line like mono for instance (just one of many examples or situations), if you are pitching jigs and working them back to the boat but your are finding that you are getting bit on the jigs decent or fall sometimes it is beneficial to slow that decent so the lure stays in the strike zone longer and by switching to a mono will help with this.

Most of the time I fish with a non stretch line while jigging but at times I change out my spools and use a mono to best match the situation.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
10/2 PP for me with a 2 foot mono leader. I like not having stretch in my line and when I get snagged up I only break the mono and don't leave 20 feet of mono in the river to piss me off at a later date when I snag it.

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started switching everything over to suffix 832. I like the no stretch and casts nice. I generally use a fluorocarbon leader. Also have a spare spool of mono in the boat.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
10/2 power pro for me also. Not impressed with nanofil for the money. It casts well but doesn't hold op like power pro.

Huskerdu

Established Member
I agree on the nanofil not being as long lasting as brad, I have had some wind knots with nanofil, it does cast a long ways.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
10/2 power pro for me also. Not impressed with nanofil for the money. It casts well but doesn't hold op like power pro.

This^^^^^

Nanofil is GREAT for fishing in open water without anything to rub against and does cast very well. However, the Sheyenne River where I fish 90% of the time is anything but open water. 10/2 PP with a 2ft floro leader is my method for success.

REY_off

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am partial to Fireline Crystal. Been using it for about 4 or 5 years. I tried Nanofil last year and liked it, but don't like it that much more than Crystal. I have used power pro in the past, but didn't care for the way it felt when you reeled it up or how it would fray after a hammer handle would find your lure. A flouro leader would have solved that last issue though.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nano is my favorite for pitching or casting. Use it a lot in the spring. Hardly ever tie a leader anymore, just directly to the jig or crank bait
For pulling cranks like 10 pound fire line, and 12 pound XT for pulling bouncers. I like some stretch when pulling live bait.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
powerpro superslick, and nanofil. I really like nanofil a lot but it isnt the most abrasion resistant. I always run 2-4 foot flouro leaders in various lb test on all jigging/pitching rods

- - - Updated - - -

the why is because they both cast extremely well. Nanofil is an especially sensitive line for pitching - can feel bites or see line jump easily when on partially slack line (think snap jigging or when its windy)

what knot you tying for fluoro leaders w nano?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Power pro 5, 8 or 10 pound. Once I switched to power pro I never went back. Sometimes I use a flouro leader but most of the time the fish don't care. Braid is a must casting jigs in snaggy water

I tried super slick once but was not impressed. It seemed to birds nest easier, wrap around the tip easier and seemed harder to untangle lines. Why do you guys like it more than regular power pro?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
6lb suffix mono for a bit in the spring. Then I'll throw on 10# PP superslick with a 12 lb fluoro leader.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
double albright. want to experiment with some others though

going to try this - especially for places with weeds - try to avoid getting the weeds up at the knot/swivel

- - - Updated - - -

what do people use for leader knots on lead-line? Or are swivels mandatory because fouled cranks rotate?

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
All of my reels either have Suffix 832 or PP slick 8. Occasionally I will be ambitious enough to tie on a 10lb floro leader.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74