Battery Combiner

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of you gents running one of these in your boat? Purpose of it is to be able to charge your trolling motor batteries off your big motor. Just wondering how well they work and if they are worth it?

http://www.yandina.com/c160Info.htm

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had one on a older bass boat. If your good at switching often the may extend your day but once your trolling batteries are dead you spend a lot of time driving around to get any charge in them. Newer motors may put out a little more current now days not sure. The other neg is if you forget to turn it back to your starting battery you can kill that one to.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Brother in law hooks up a electric fence solar charger to his trolling batteries while he is fishing. Says it extends his trolling time by a lot.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had one on a older bass boat. If your good at switching often the may extend your day but once your trolling batteries are dead you spend a lot of time driving around to get any charge in them. Newer motors may put out a little more current now days not sure. The other neg is if you forget to turn it back to your starting battery you can kill that one to.

The one on that site has a sensor that isolates the troller batteries from the starting battery/motor if it doesn't sense a voltage of at least 13.2V.
The only time I'd need this is when it's really windy and i have to turn my troller up above 6 for extended periods. Usually in that situation I just throw the drift sock out and fish that way, but would be nice to know I could rely on the batteries to last.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Alternator output of course varies by engine size but if you've got a 50HP or larger motor you're putting out ~20Amps. 115 to 150HP is 30-50amps, and the larger 6cyl outboards are 50-70 amps.

I don't know how much of an advantage this is during a day of fishing unless you're doing a lot of running somewhere between cruising and WOT. Where I think this is an advantage is if you've got a bit of a run in to the dock at the end of the day you're getting a big start on your overnight charging.

This could also be a big help for someone trying to limp by the last few weekends of the summer/season on batteries in need of replacement.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77