Trade or Sell Yourself?

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pros/Cons? First time really looking at upgrading without having run a vehicle into the ground first and my current pickup is showing around 4k for trade in and 8k for clean retail on nada. Seems like a no brainer to try to sell myself?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck...Mine was on bisman and I pulled it after one lady no showed me twice, another guy no showed me, and the final straw was the guy from cannonball that wanted to test drive it but didn't want me along. I'll trade it in and take the hit.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
A guy saves a little bit on taxes with a trade in. I have did it both ways a trade in is so much easier and a lot less hassle of people coming over looking at the vehicle

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would sell it outright every day of the week !, .let the dealership make 4 grand off my car or i do a tish of work and keep the additional 4 grand myself.. .. no brainer to me,, but thats just my opinion

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
My wife had an 08 G6 that Rydell's low balled us on trade in last year. Told them I'll just sell it and they laughed at me and gave me the tax credit shpeel. Sold it a less than a week later for $3500 over trade in. That tax credit would have been under $400 so we still netted >$3100 over trading in. She kept it in absolutely perfect condition so we didn't have to screw with cleaning it up to try and sell it. I would say for that price differential don't worry about the tax credit with trade in.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
All depends on what your time is worth to you. People tend to rarely get NADA value for resale when they sell it themselves, the ads always try to stress how much below NADA they are offering it for sale.

So if NADA thinks it's worth up to $8k on private sale, the best way to actually sell it is to ask $7k. Now you're looking at a $3k difference. Sometimes, if you are looking at new, there are discounts or incentives for trades (like an extra $1500) offered as a loyalty incentive for those trading in a Ford on a new Ford. If you hold off until one of those deals comes around, you are now looking at only $1500 difference in net cost to you. That suggests that if you can get it sold to the first person who comes to look at it that you are paying yourself a pretty handsome hourly rate, if it takes 25 people to come and see it, test drive it, etc. Then maybe not a very good return on your time.

I've done both. Vehicles that are older and someone can bring cash in exchange for title all in one visit are the best return on your time. Last vehicle I sold was this type of transaction. Worked out well for both of us.

- - - Updated - - -

Note, if you have another vehicle to drive, I'd do the private sale as a general rule of thumb. Being able to be patient is your ally on both buying and selling.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think not attempting to sell yourself is lazy. Who couldnt use an extra $4000 for a new vehicle? Thats a considerable amount when purchasing your next vehicle. I know I'm not wealthy enough to just piss that down the drain. Thats significant in my budget.

My wife had a cherry honda accord with 60k miles, loaded, new tires, yadda yadda. Great used buy. Anyways, it was worth $12k at the time. I explored the trade option and decided the convenience was worth 2000 bucks. I would trade for 10 and that still left meat on the bone for them. Some places in Bis/man laughed at me, and wouldn't even put a number on the table when I told them how much I wanted. Wouldnt even make an offer. The highest bid I did get was around 7900.

I put it on bisman and had it sold in 10 days to a guy from Minot, for $12,000. Well worth it when I put that payment down on the new car.

Dealers have to pay for those big buildings and service shops somehow, ya know. They get ya upfront, they bend ya over on a trade, and they inflate the price on round #2. They get their cake 3 times. Thats life......Sell yourself!!

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had good luck on Bisman. Have sold 2 vehicles, and boat and motorcycle. You do get some BS and low ball offers, but I have had good luck selling things.

I just always recommend, if you do a private sale, do a Bill of Sale. Have two signed copies, one for yourself and the other for the buyer.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The guy from Cannonball seems 'legit"? ;)
Good luck...Mine was on bisman and I pulled it after one lady no showed me twice, another guy no showed me, and the final straw was the guy from cannonball that wanted to test drive it but didn't want me along. I'll trade it in and take the hit.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would sell it outright all day long. it does take longer, but the price difference is worth it. I upgraded pickups a year ago and it took about 3 months to sell the pickup before I started looking for a new one. trade in value difference if i was just to take it to a dealership was about 5 grand. it was worth the leg work. remember, dealerships are willing to negotiate more now since oil has tanked and they have to work harder for a sale. at the same time, they're gonna take an easy turn and burn on a trade in every chance they get to turn a quick profit. if you've worked hard to keep it in tip top shape, why should they get to reap the benefits of your work. my .02

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I never traded in a vehicle always sold them. I just can't see giving that money to the dealership. I've never had a problem getting what I asked for (they were priced fairly). Just remember do it if you want to deal with any of the hassles associated with it and you don't need it gone right away. This will put you in the driver seat for negotiations.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I trade in when my vehicle is almost falling apart. I would feel bad selling it to someone privately and have it break down on them right away. I let the dealership's worry about that stuff

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
zoops pm me your number and i can give it to my coworker if u are considering selling outright. said he would be interested

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We ordered a new 17 Chevy Crewcab 4x4 Duramax Dually just last week.
We have a 13 Chevy Crewcab 4x4 Duramax Dually that we are trading in as we would have to get $47,000 - $48,000 selling it outright to come out of it trading it in. Loaded except for sunroof, DVD player, or navigation. It has 28,000 miles on it.
If you know someone interested send me a PM if not it is going to be traded in at Puklich Chevrolet.

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thing to consider is if the stars align and you find the vehicle you want to purchase at the same time you find a buyer for yours is to do an "in & out" with the dealership. you get the extra money from selling it outright and the tax savings. I have done this a few times and the last time saved myself almost $1,800 in taxes when I bought my new vehicle plus sold it for $3,000 more than what they would give me on trade in.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with DM on the Bismanonline deal. It is a good place to sell and it's not there fault but the number of people that call and no-show gets very frustrating. Do it on your terms not theirs. Tell them when you will be home and they can come by at that time. Don't let them cut into plans you may have already had.

TWN

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be sure you understand the difference between 'retail pricing" and "private party". The odds of you getting full retail are slim. Retail is for dealers and set a little higher as most dealers have some liability that private sellers don't. Sold several of those exact Fords when I was selling cars, have another guy trying to sell one now, nobody is paying $8k for that pickup regardless of condition. As a lot of the above posts have said if you set your price reasonably that is an easy unit to move. Lots of life left at 120k.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75