7-08 Rem: Input Needed

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where to start...

I bought a Kimber Montana in .308 about a year ago. I really liked the rifle... up until I had to shoot it. I'm not a bolt-action guy and definitely a novice shooter. Sold the Kimber and bought a nice, heavy Remington 700 with a 24" heavy barrel. I'm still not a great shooter but at least I have a rifle I'm comfortable learning with. I do enjoy shooting it, but it's not ideal for many hunting applications and I still fawn over that Kimber.

So I came across the Kimber Adirondack in 7mm. Weighs under 5#, has an 18" threaded barrel. I can throw a suppressor on it and a scope and it'll still be under 7#. Very expensive, but I have time to save up for it.

I've been reading a little about 7-08 and it appeals to me for the following reasons:

1. I have a couple thousand pieces of once-fired Lake City 7.62x51 brass that I can resize to 7-08.
2. Seems to work pretty well out of a shorter barrel
3. Less recoil, better BC, and better KE @ 500 yds than comparable .308

Ok, please proceed with poking holes in this idea. It will save me a lot of $$ if someone can convince me this is a stupid idea.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
7mm-08 is a very underrated round. It will handily take any NA game. It beats the 308 in pretty much every way. 260 rem is even better, but that's not the question here.

My concerns are:
- In a 5# gun, it may beat you more than you want. -- But on the other hand, the suppressor will fix that.
- Not sure if you're a velocity junkie, but the 18in barrel may leave you wanting.
- To use that brass you'll have to invest in a lot more stuff (and time).

The Adirondack is definitely a cool "mountain gun". They guarantee sub-moa. If they made them in left-hand I'd probably have 2.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my 7-08 I hunt everything with it I have it in a rem 733 carbine it's my favorite truck gun ( window gun) lol good out to 700 yrds on the run

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My concerns are:
- In a 5# gun, it may beat you more than you want. -- But on the other hand, the suppressor will fix that.
- Not sure if you're a velocity junkie, but the 18in barrel may leave you wanting.
- To use that brass you'll have to invest in a lot more stuff (and time).

The Adirondack is definitely a cool "mountain gun". They guarantee sub-moa. If they made them in left-hand I'd probably have 2.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'd go for the Montana or Adirondack. I like how the Adirondack 18" barrel is just so handy and stiffer than the 22" Montana barrel. Adirondack just seems very handy if I'm going to hang a 14oz suppressor on the end of it. I'll have to search the Internet for a velocity comparison between 18" and 22" 7-08 barrels.

I like the idea of resizing LC 7.62 brass because there's an endless supply of it and it's cheap and of good quality. You can get 1,000 pieces of once-fired LC for about $140. I don't want to worry about losing a few pieces of expensive Hornady or Lapua brass at the range or worry about having different types of brass and getting different performance out of it.

I should add: I also plan to start reloading this year if the planets align with some other stuff I have going on.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A suppressed 7-08 shooting the 162 amax or eldx..
Well that right there is something that is something I would put on my short need to do list.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy lapua brass and be done with it. If you have Kimber money, you have Lapua money. You don't want to tackle case forming in addition to everything else. Plus you will have less variability in case to case which should help with groups.

Im a big 7-08 guy. 162 A-max is my go to. I wouldn't overlook a short action 6.5 either. Should have even less recoil.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy lapua brass and be done with it. If you have Kimber money, you have Lapua money. You don't want to tackle case forming in addition to everything else. Plus you will have less variability in case to case which should help with groups.

Im a big 7-08 guy. 162 A-max is my go to. I wouldn't overlook a short action 6.5 either. Should have even less recoil.

"Kimber money" he says! Lapua brass would cost 7X more than resizing LC 7.62 brass. I don't have Lapua money. I could buy a cheaper 7-08 but by the time I get it "how I want it" it'll cost more than a Kimber.

Livetohuntandfish

Established Member
Where to start...

I bought a Kimber Montana in .308 about a year ago. I really liked the rifle... up until I had to shoot it. I'm not a bolt-action guy and definitely a novice shooter. Sold the Kimber and bought a nice, heavy Remington 700 with a 24" heavy barrel. I'm still not a great shooter but at least I have a rifle I'm comfortable learning with. I do enjoy shooting it, but it's not ideal for many hunting applications and I still fawn over that Kimber.

So I came across the Kimber Adirondack in 7mm. Weighs under 5#, has an 18" threaded barrel. I can throw a suppressor on it and a scope and it'll still be under 7#. Very expensive, but I have time to save up for it.

I've been reading a little about 7-08 and it appeals to me for the following reasons:

1. I have a couple thousand pieces of once-fired Lake City 7.62x51 brass that I can resize to 7-08.
2. Seems to work pretty well out of a shorter barrel
3. Less recoil, better BC, and better KE @ 500 yds than comparable .308

Ok, please proceed with poking holes in this idea. It will save me a lot of $$ if someone can convince me this is a stupid idea.

If I were you I'd find the caliber you want and buy a plain rifle, upgrade stock and trigger and you'll be money ahead and way more happy then buying a kimber. They are nice rifles but you can throw together a better rifle with half the cash and then it's personalized. That's my 2 cents. And my only question why aren't you sold on the Remington 700 hb for all applications?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I were you I'd find the caliber you want and buy a plain rifle, upgrade stock and trigger and you'll be money ahead and way more happy then buying a kimber. They are nice rifles but you can throw together a better rifle with half the cash and then it's personalized. That's my 2 cents. And my only question why aren't you sold on the Remington 700 hb for all applications?

The Remington 700 is a .308 and will weigh about 10.5# with a scope and suppressor. My .308 deer hunting rifle weighs about the same but sports a 10 rd magazine.

I really don't know if you can throw together a rifle of similar quality, accuracy, and weight for less than the cost of a Kimber Montana but I'm open to suggestions. I've considered a Rem 700 mountain rifle.

Livetohuntandfish

Established Member
Ya I agree they are heavy, I'd stick with either a Remington 700 action or ruger American or m77 action. Boyd's stocks are reasonable and really do a good job of stabilizing your shooting platform. Timley trigger or else use the stock one and most are adjustable just need to be polished and work just as well. I just finished a 700 project and ended up spending 400 for the rifle, 250 for the stock and 100 for the trigger. A little work and a glass bedding which is pretty basic and pillars if your really looking to dial in and you've got a rifle which is very hard to beat. And if your going for a hunting rifle some of that stuff can be skipped if your not looking sub moa.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya I agree they are heavy, I'd stick with either a Remington 700 action or ruger American or m77 action. Boyd's stocks are reasonable and really do a good job of stabilizing your shooting platform. Timley trigger or else use the stock one and most are adjustable just need to be polished and work just as well. I just finished a 700 project and ended up spending 400 for the rifle, 250 for the stock and 100 for the trigger. A little work and a glass bedding which is pretty basic and pillars if your really looking to dial in and you've got a rifle which is very hard to beat. And if your going for a hunting rifle some of that stuff can be skipped if your not looking sub moa.

I'll look into Boyd's stocks. I just checked the price of a 700 Mountain rifle and it's about $325 less than a comparable Kimber Montana but weighs about 19 oz more than the Montana. By the time I have the barrel threaded and replace the trigger, the price is about the same as the Kimber... but it'll weigh considerably more than the Kimber.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless you are chasing sheep or goats that weight isn't a real big deal. I hauled my 13 pound rifle around Idaho last year elk hunting. My reason is I have complete confidence in that rifle and I shoot heavier rifles better

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait.

Barrett Fieldcraft rifles are coming supposedly this summer. I love the 84 M/L platform, but, for roughly the same $$ I'd have to at least put a Barrett in my mitts before laying down the $$. The fieldcraft supposedly has a 3.01" internal box magazine.......

Fieldcraft 22-250 will be twisted 1:7.

Just those 2 nuggets intrigue me enough to prompt the wait and see.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless you are chasing sheep or goats that weight isn't a real big deal. I hauled my 13 pound rifle around Idaho last year elk hunting. My reason is I have complete confidence in that rifle and I shoot heavier rifles better

I would NOT lug a 13# rifle elk hunting but I can appreciate the sentiment of hunting with a gun you're confident in. Just this weekend I really struggled to put together consistent groups with the 700 because I'm not used to it, but then I popped 20 rds of $.38 Russian .308 plinking ammo in my deer rifle and with a 6x scope emptied the 20 rds in under 20 seconds at a 12" plate at 300 yds. Hosed that plate down like it was on fire. (Granted, 12" plate at 300 yds requires sub 4 MOA groups, but I digress...)

Maybe I ought to save myself $2k in rifle, scope, and reloading equipment and continue practicing with the 700. Maybe if I get a wild hair and draw a tag for something other than ND whitetail I'll scratch the itch for a lightweight 7-08.

Thanks Kurtr. As far as assholes from SD go, you're ok in my book.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks:cool:. Funny how that works with that gas gun I would struggle but can run the bolt fast as possible on my gun and watch impacts all day. It's all in what a guy practices​ with and being comfortable and not having to think about it matters alot when the moment of truth comes.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait.

Barrett Fieldcraft rifles are coming supposedly this summer. I love the 84 M/L platform, but, for roughly the same $$ I'd have to at least put a Barrett in my mitts before laying down the $$. The fieldcraft supposedly has a 3.01" internal box magazine.......

Fieldcraft 22-250 will be twisted 1:7.

Just those 2 nuggets intrigue me enough to prompt the wait and see.

They also came out with an O/U shotgun. This could be neat.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Extremely lightweight rifles are very difficult to learn to shoot accurately. I own a Ruger ultralight that I still haven't mastered. Every variable in your holding a rifle that weighs only 5# will change the direction of recoil. That changes the impact of the bullet. Variables include how firmly you shoulder the butt stock, how you hold the fore end, even how much pressure your cheek exerts against the stock's comb. Unless you're willing to put in the extensive practice you'll need to learn these things, buy a rifle with more weight up front. If that Adirondack was on the used rack at Scheels, there is a very good chance the original buyer had trouble keeping five shots on an
8 1/2"X11" target sheet at 100yards in the indoor benchrest range in West Fargo. I was working the evening he brought it to the range two or three years ago.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 7-08 that's easier to shoot.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67