Selling a boat from North Dakota

Hawgeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a dumb question...I think. I bought a brand new boat in North Dakota from a dealer that is no longer in business. At that time, I was told that ND does not issue titles. I had taken a loan from a local bank and since have paid off the loan. The boat has been registered in ND since I bought it new in 2006.

I am going to sell my boat now and realized I do not have a title. Since ND does not require titles, as told to me by the dealer at the time of purchase, I have no proof of ownership other than my boat registration. What do I need to transfer ownership after I sell my boat? I am concerned as this seems odd to me. I have never sold a boat that I didn't have a title for it and am concerned that I need to find some proof of ownership...can someone provide any guidance? Thanks!

ps...I do have a copy of the Sales Book sheet that reflects purchase price, boat, engine and trailer serial numbers all detailed on their sales receipt letter head. There is a balance due amount listed at the bottom with a hand-written note that states Pd 6/9/06... this is all I have. I also am the registered owner with Lund and Yamaha

Last edited:

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bill of sale and the registration card is all I've ever had or given.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep bill of sale and registration is all you need in ND and I don't think you need the old registration I think I only used the bill of sale to register my new to me boat

Hawgeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Selling

So Since I am selling, I just draft up a bill of sale for the purchaser that reflects purchase price, options etc. I would make them a copy of my original bill of sale, a copy of my registration card and any ownership registrations for transfer and I should be set?

Whether buying or selling, unlike cars and autos, from what I can see, there is no tax obligations on private party to private party transactions...tax was already paid in original sale from dealer? This appears to hold true in both Mn and ND. Am I accurate with this assessment? Thanks for your feedback!

Huskerdu

Established Member
Bill of sale , you can find fill in the blank one's online

- - - Updated - - -

IN MN you pay tax on the trailer when buying a used boat from a private party.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70