Kicker: Tiller or Steering Wheel?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I bought my Stratos last year, as many of you know. Shortly after purchase I added a Merc 9.9 kicker. Currently it is setup as a tiller. I will be adding a troll-master. I am deciding between hooking the steering to the big motor or leaving it as a tiller. I mainly use it pulling cranks, and when pulling cranks I am standing at the back.

What is your setup and preference?

Fox Island Outfitter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Advantages to both, I prefer steering wheel but other fishing pards prefer tiller. Depends on what you're used to and how you fish.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I generally just point the damn thing straight and steer with the Terrova, but once in awhile a guy needs to steer it. Still undecided.

Fox Island Outfitter

Founding Member
Founding Member
For me I had my kids and safety in mind. A few less movements back and forth and you're not glued to the back of the boat. I generally steer with my trolling motor and remote around my neck. Auto pilot which I use now and will have I link shortly should be money for the lakes.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
I preferred the steering wheel control when I had a kicker.....especially when trolling cranks. If you plan to use it for back trolling instead of an electric to hug contours, the tiller is a must.

Old boat had a tiller kicker. I bought one of those rods that tied it into the main motor steering. Worked descent.

SlamminSalmon

Honored Member
I have a tiller for my kicker got the trollmaster and tie bar in my opinion only way to go fishing salmon. Also use it pulling cranks. The setup is easy enough to switch back and forth you can use it either way depending on the situation.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
with my verado and power steering, I wish I had tiller. Drains the starting battery and because of that I always used the motor guide to steer. Never added a 2nd battery because of weight and where I had to put it. It worked ok but if I had to do over would have a tiller kicker. Even without the battery drain issue I would go tiller next time.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I much prefer the tiller if you have good room to stand and use it. It all depends on boat setup. I like having all the rods in front of me rather than beside and behind me. I see the fish hit or snags before anyone else in the front of the boat. I hate looking back constantly from the steering wheel. And, a tiller is much quicker to react, both steering and throttle.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a tiller for my kicker got the trollmaster and tie bar in my opinion only way to go fishing salmon. Also use it pulling cranks. The setup is easy enough to switch back and forth you can use it either way depending on the situation.

This is my setup as well. I can use I-Troll @ the helm or the regular throttle @ the rear. The only pisser is having to go to the back to get the kicker in/out of gear.

- - - Updated - - -

For me I had my kids and safety in mind. A few less movements back and forth and you're not glued to the back of the boat. I generally steer with my trolling motor and remote around my neck. Auto pilot which I use now and will have I link shortly should be money for the lakes.

TT? If so, WELCOME!!

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a tiller, have thought heavily about the steering rob but have not. 99% of the time I use my trolling motor to steer and set speed. When ive needed it, getting stuck or shitty weather the tiller comes in handy.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a tiller also. You can add the steering rod too and you can remove/install that very quickly. I'd opt for the Itroll if you can swing the $.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
It depends on how easy it is to reach the tiller handle. If you have a short splashwell and can reach a tiller handle easily, tiller has a big advantage of turning sharper than any main OB. The angle of max turn depends on HP and safety. If the reach is too long, you're stuck with a connecting rod between the OBs. I use tiller steering, and my boat can turn in 2/3 of its length. It actually pivots under the consoles if I turn my kicker as sharp as possible.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
with my verado and power steering, I wish I had tiller. Drains the starting battery and because of that I always used the motor guide to steer. Never added a 2nd battery because of weight and where I had to put it. It worked ok but if I had to do over would have a tiller kicker. Even without the battery drain issue I would go tiller next time.

I had same issue on mine, even had the voltage isolator installed, didn't work worth a shit. Was stuck down river 15 miles. Lets just say there wasn't enough beer in the cooler!!

fish-r-man

★★ Legendary Member
I have mine set up to use with my steering wheel, being as I rarely get out of the captains chair. it is nice for steering to have both lower units working as rudders

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

This is how my boat is set up also.

I don't use the kicker but maybe once or twice a year, but I did blow my Optimax twice, and that kicker was the saving grace that got me back to the boat ramp.

Fox Island Outfitter

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is my setup as well. I can use I-Troll @ the helm or the regular throttle @ the rear. The only pisser is having to go to the back to get the kicker in/out of gear.

- - - Updated - - -

TT? If so, WELCOME!!

Yep it is. Who's this?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86