Smoking Pheasant breasts

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some pheasant breasts with the bone in, that I want to smoke tomorrow. I will be soaking them in a brine. Anyone got any recipes/tips for the brining process, and smoking tips? Thanks!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did a bunch this winter. I learned a few things. First, brine is necessary. Second, cover the skin with something, I used bacon. the outer layer becomes almost leather without it. And last, either go beer can style or stuff them to help them from drying out. My first batch I did bare breasts without covering skin or stuffing. They were very dry, even with the brine. Much improved after that. Light, sweet smoke is better too, something like apple or cherry. Good luck!

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree you need to Brine. Problem is the Brine helps dry em out. I smoke mine at 190 degrees using alder or cherry or apple. make sure you have your water pan filled too.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks guys, I have 6 whole breasts and I am going to brine 3 in apple juice with salt and 3 in water, salt and brown sugar. I will let them brine for 12 hours. And then smoke tomorrow afternoon. 3geese come on over I have cold Key lights in the fridge.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Questions on the BACON :;:rockit1.Do you put it on right away, or smoke it for a little first and then put it on? 2. Do you completely cover the breast or leave gaps so the smoke gets to the meat?

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brine like you are doing, take out and give a quick rinse and pat dry. If you have a injector, melt some butter and shoot up each breast, or some wine or whatever you like. Wrap in bacon put on smoker and go as low a temp as you can go for an hour or so and then finish over medium hot grill for just a couple minutes each side, until just done. If bone in, that side down first and maybe 5-7 minutes and 3-5 on the other. Shoot for 150 in thickest part of breast, let them rest under foil for 5 minutes. Never trust a skinny cook and 3geese will confirm that I am far from skinny, haha

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a beach ball belly, and I work at it one beer at a time! :;:cheers Is that the same thing? :;:huh ..............;:;rofl Gong to the Minotauros hockey game tonight and doing the beer can workout! ;:;boozer

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just cover the breast up. The idea of cooking on the grill in interesting, I just smoke for 3 hours or so. Let us know how they turned out!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, there are 2 parts to passing the puck. 1. Making the pass. 2. Receiving the pass. Tonight they couldn't receive a pass to save their soul. They also had quite a few times were all 3 forwards were behind the opposing teams net. Kind of tuff to score from back there.

ejolliffe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used bacon right off the bat. I also sprinkled the bacon with brown sugar and sprayed with some apple juice about 30 minutes into it. Turned out great.

jake57

Founding Member
Founding Member
I smoke mine until somewhat dry. Debone and put in blender to pulverize it. Get liver pate recipe out of Betty Crocker book and replace liver with smoked pheasant. Put on crackers or garlic toast.ENJOY

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do the BBs you miss grind up in the blender?;:;rofl......................:;:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0932.jpg

Marinated these for 14 hours in the 2 marinates that I mentioned above. I wrapped them in BACON, :;:rockitand then smoked them on the Bradley for 3.5 hours until they reached an internal temp of 165 degrees.(I even bought myself a digital meat thermometer to make sure about the meat temp). The water, brown sugar, salt one I will do again. When I took the 3 breasts out of the apple juice marinate, the breast meat had a light tan color and the meat was way firmer then those from the water marinate. The end result was the meat from the water marinate had way more moisture in it then the apple juice meat.

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks real tasty, where's mine? ;)

Come on up. I have leftovers, as Mrs. Tikka doesn't eat pheasant. I was nice and marinated a couple pork chops and smoked those for her. She has leftovers also.

- - - Updated - - -

I also ate them with a couple of these!! :;:rockit

th

;:;boozer

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did pheasant once in the Bradley, bone in, never brined it, cooked with no bacon or anything else on the meat, and smoked for a couple hours. They came out so dry they about broke apart with just a touch. Never tried again, as it turned out so fricken bad.

I will maybe brine them for a day or two and give it another try. I have damn plenty of pheasant in the freezer to experiment again.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80