Spinning Reels

What hand do you use to reel?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I reel with my right because that is how I was taught. It would make more sense to reel with my left since I am right handed and switch hands constantly while casting. Teaching an old dog a new trick doesn't work though.

RRmaniac

Established Member
I have been reeling with my left for a long time. I like using my strong hand to set the hook. If I were to get a baitcaster, I would probably end up getting a left handed one.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been reeling with my left for a long time. I like using my strong hand to set the hook. If I were to get a baitcaster, I would probably end up getting a left handed one.

That.

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spinning real with my left. Bait-caster with my right. must be left over from the old Zebco days.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can we include an option for both hands? I use both. For example; sometimes jig with two rods, left hand jig/ right hand reel, right hand jig, left hand reel. Always feel like you have a chance to lose a fish when switching hands to reel.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also cast with my right and reel with my right...I can real with my left if I have to, but it's pretty weird

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also was taught/learned reeling with my right hand. My dad is left handed and my bro's and I grew up using his rod and reels that had right handed reels. I think as a snot nosed little tyke, I didn't know any better and just learned to do it. Caught a good number of fish as a tyke so didn't think twice. Plus, a little kid always wants to do what Dad is doing so didn't even think about changing. Seemed to come easy so never did change. I have tried the left handed reel but feel like a fish out of water using it..pardon the pun....

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can we include an option for both hands? I use both. For example; sometimes jig with two rods, left hand jig/ right hand reel, right hand jig, left hand reel. Always feel like you have a chance to lose a fish when switching hands to reel.

yup^^^^

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Reel with left...cast/set hook with right. H82 made a good point above...sometimes jig with 2 rods, but usually miss fish if I try to hook set with left hand!

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spinning real with my left. Bait-caster with my right. must be left over from the old Zebco days.

This is what I do too. On days where I cast a lot (which is often), it is nice to switch and let the muscles on both sides do some work.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Btw, years ago I broke my right thumb weeks before a trip to Canada to cast for musky, pike and smallies. I did not know how to cast my bait caster left handed before the trip but could like a champ by the time the week was over.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Left. I can reel with either and it doesn't feel too weird for me but I feel much more in control of the fish with the pole in my right hand.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is what I do too. On days where I cast a lot (which is often), it is nice to switch and let the muscles on both sides do some work.

There is wisdom here.

I always wondered why bass pros switched hands all day even after left hand retrieves became popular and I decided that was the reason. Is this true?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't have a reason other than that's the way I've always done it. I'm left-handed, cast with right, reel with left. Unless it's with a line-counter reel than I reel with right. If my arm gets too sore casting with right I generally figure it's time to sit down and have a beer and take a break.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is wisdom here.

I always wondered why bass pros switched hands all day even after left hand retrieves became popular and I decided that was the reason. Is this true?

I think they do what they do based on which hand/arm is dominant. If accuracy is important, which is often the case when fishing bass in cover, then you would want to cast with whichever hand provides the best control.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74