Boots for mountains

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is every ones preference for boots for out west. I ran some meindl ultra light hunters last year and liked them but wanted some thing more stiff and better built so got the German built meindl perfekt hikers and so far they feel great on the feet. The others i looked at were crispi, lowa, scarpa, la sportiva, kennetrek , schnees and zamberlan wish there was a place like rei around here that carried high end boots and not try to push the danners like they are top of the line. I did get a pair of the scarpa approach shoes and have been impressed with them.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
danners suck. comfortable but dont last like they used to. I still have a pair that i wear on occasion (not pronghorns-worst boot made). i got a pair of cabelas/meindl perfekt hunters last year that are excellent so far. i have buddies that do lots of elk, sheep, and mule deer hunting that wear nothing but kenetreks.

- - - Updated - - -

rei can suck a choad. anti hunting sob's

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Regarding German made Meindl. Perfekts are their most flexible. Denali are more stiff (and my favorite). Alaskans are the stiffest.

I have Meindl Alaskan Hikers, Denali, and Perfekt light hikers. I also have Kennetrek hardscrabble hikers. I prefer the Denali. Alaskan and Hardscrabbles are same/same on my "like" scale for comfort. I prefer the taller rubber rand of the Alaskan. I run green super feet insoles in the Alaskans and whatever comes from the factory in the rest.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair of kenny packs that i love i just could not get my heal to lock in and it slipped i think i would have got blisters with the mountain extremes. I use to really concern my self with anti hunting stuff but it is hard to really know most all the mountainearing clothing makers are anti but there stuff is so much better than what the hunting clothing offered. Finally sitka, first lite and even kuiu have caught up in building cloths with high end fabrics. I would like to get my hands on the new kryptek series using the schoeller fabrics

- - - Updated - - -

Regarding German made Meindl. Perfekts are their most flexible. Denali are more stiff (and my favorite). Alaskans are the stiffest.

I have Meindl Alaskan Hikers, Denali, and Perfekt light hikers. I also have Kennetrek hardscrabble hikers. I prefer the Denali. Alaskan and Hardscrabbles are same/same on my "like" scale for comfort. I prefer the taller rubber rand of the Alaskan. I run green super feet insoles in the Alaskans and whatever comes from the factory in the rest.

i was going to get the green super feet to but am really liking the foot bed in the perfekt hikers it is breaking in and getting real comfy.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Schnees Hunter II packs are from 2001, they're still in very good shape and do the job very well. I've put a LOT of miles on those boots. No break-in, never a blister/hotspot. Only thing I'd consider doing different would be to pay the extra for buffalo leather uppers, though at the rate they're going, I'll never wear out the plain old cowhide.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
my rubber is cracking on my kennys need to send them in i think i got them in 2005 did you condition the rubber at all?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Old school Rockys. Had them over three different mountain ranges. Were comfortable, water proof, lasted a long time and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Old school Rockys. Had them over three different mountain ranges. Were comfortable, water proof, lasted a long time and didn't cost an arm and a leg.

which rockys and how much weight were you packing? I know the support starts to really be felt once i get above 60 pounds in the pack. thats were the ultra light meindl left me wanting more. I have tried the cheap boot route but they cost more as i had to buy a new pair every year so 300 once every 5 years is cheaper than 120 every year

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
my rubber is cracking on my kennys need to send them in i think i got them in 2005 did you condition the rubber at all?

Why do you want to know what I've done with my rubber? Seems a sort of personal question on an outdoor forum. (grin)

I haven't done a thing with the lowers on my boots. Montana Pitch Blend on the uppers annually for sure, more often if I wear them a lot. I have my dad's set of 10" hunter II's as well, I think his are from '02 or '03 and again, in great shape, uppers and lowers both.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
hahaha i must bend my feet alot all my boots wear out right where toes and foot meat. I use obenhaufs lp religiously and that has kept the leather in great condition.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had good luck with the salomon quest 4d GTX for archery elk and early rifle. Schnees is running a sale right now, so I may pick up a pair of the beartooth or granites to try them out.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you go on rokslide i think there is a discount code for schnees to. I almost got a pair of the salomon i might get some for around here early season

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago i bought a pair of Irish Setters from downtown Bismarck in the RedWing store i think it was. Never wore them sumbitches out and have them to this day. Never broke them in just put them on and went bow hunting for elk & deer in Montana. Wore them 2 weeks straight every day with lots of miles put on them up in the West Fork and never got sore feet or blisters of any kind. Damn good boots but don't know what the new ones are.
Seems to be just like tires. Get a darn good wearing pair and a year or two later they change the compound and the next pair doesn't last worth a toot.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Iam sure the names have changed on the Rockys because its been 12 years sence I bought my last pair.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kenetrek Mountain Extremes for me. I think for the most part though, any of the quality boots you mentioned are good. Just depends on how they fit your foot.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a pair of kenetreks on and didn't like the tilt built into the soles- literally felt like I was downhill skiing.

No love for pronghorns from anyone- I must have a fluke set because they've been good for the last 5 years I've worn them...

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have had Meindl and Kennetrek. Both very good but a slight nod to Kennetreks. Think Flatrock has the best answer. All depends on the fit. I have a wider foot and it seemed that both of the brands I mentioned fit better than Danners, for example. When I bought my Kennetreks I thought the Irish Setters I had on felt good. Then I decided to try the Kennetreks at about twice the money. Walked about 10 feet and knew trying on the Kennetreks just cost me extra cash. Fit and comfort are extremely important to me.

KiYi

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy swears by Saloman 4D GTX but I am yet to try them.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like my Kennetrek Mountain extremes also have many friends that have them and really like them. In the Kenntreks your feet are stabilized by stiff sole and feet don't get sore. I have a pair of Meindl hikers but I get hotspots on my feet from wearing them in steeper terrain. I have Kennetrek northern packboots that are 10 years old. The pacs are warm and keep feet dry. I am going to get a pair of Lowa uplands this year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69