Wild asparagus

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone seeing any pop up yet? Its just about time!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really want to pickle some this year. Hopefully a few more warm weather days will get them going. I usually gauge it by the height of our rhubarb in the yard. When that gets 6-12 inches tall, I can find asparagus elsewhere.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you know what to look for in the fall, big bushy plant looks like almost sweet clover with red berrys still hanging on. Come back in spring and there you go.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where does wild asparagus grow. Hill sides, river bottoms?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want wild asparagus just go to the store, buy some plants and go plant them in the wild... Come back every year for the next decade or two!

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's a really bad disease hitting the state's wild asparagus patches. It can make you really sick. I know what it looks like and would gladly help. If you live in the DL area, just let me know where your wild asparagus spots are and I'll go check them out for you.

Last edited:

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
when cutting make sure to cut 1/2 " or so below the ground. Seems to grow back quicker and doesnt kill it

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
when cutting make sure to cut 1/2 " or so below the ground. Seems to grow back quicker and doesnt kill it
see i've heard to make sure and cut it above ground so you dont hurt the root system or whatever underneath the ground... i myself have never harvest asparagus so i have no clue just want to know whats right

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once asparagus plants are strong enough to be harvested, cut all new shoots in spring when they are about 8 inches tall, snapping them off at the soil line. Many seasoned gardeners use a knife to cut below the soil line, but it is important to avoidcutting into emerging spears nearby.

[h=3]Asparagus - Growing Asparagus - Bonnie Plants[/h]https://bonnieplants.com/growing/growing-asparagus/

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mostly it's been spread by bird crap so look in shelterbelts. One row belts are good because they get more sun. I dig up roots and replant in my belt near the house.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I planted some back in 2012, tended to them the first few years, with no harvest to let them generate the patch they recommended. Watered, weeded, fertilized, really got a nice big patch going, and then that fall when we had finally done all we can to insure a spring crop of splendid produce, mrs johnr puts our house up for sale, and I never ate the fruits of my labor...:(

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66