Sak East End Walleyes

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know the water has been cold but is anyone having any luck on the east end, or heard of reports? Iam kinda thinkin the slow start might be because of a overabundance of forage that is keeping there stomachs full... iam kinda hoping that it will start to pick up but most years its decent by this time in my experiences.. anyone else have any opinions on the east end?

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It has been slower this year for me anyway. Only 2-4 fish per outing. It is pretty muddy water right now after the big rain on Sunday, but water temps seem to be on the rise.
Should start picking up soon.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
why do you guys think it is? forage ? water temps? marking any fish? or all the fish up towards the west end .....

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
It kind of sounds like it has been a real similar start to what the lake was like last year. Fishing reports showed scattered fish with a "hit and miss" type of bite. Most thought this was due to forage/food being everywhere. The predator fish have their pick of forage in various types of habitat. Good for the fish, not so for the angler looking for easy limits and patterns. Bite should improve some as you get into July and the baitfish fall into a summer holding location.

If this is the case, it will probably remain until there is a large die off of forage (low water) or a large year class of predator fish that will eat away at the population of the baitfish until it tips the balance.

I know when the system does tip the other way and the forage base isn't large enough to sustain the fish in the system, look out. Lots of quality fish willing to eat whatever will be on the search.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big girl will rise up one day. Keep dumping 4mil plus into her and boom

James Scarlett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Year class. Yes.

Whatever happened to that famous 2005 year class...or is it 2004?

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Isn't it just about always slow on the east end until later in the summer?

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year it was actually good in late May, early June until the rapid rise happened. The water temp was close to 5 deg warmer last year vs this on the same day though too. The west end hasn't been too hit and miss. It's pretty much on, just slowish or streaky in the hook yet.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think everything is behind a few weeks because of the cooler weather in May. We speculate what activates fish biting, from barometric pressure, water temps, moon phase, etc. Well, temps are lower than average.

I was a Van Hook last weekend and it's running behind there, too. The bay is only at 61 degrees around the Van Hook Resort. With all the mountain melt coming down and the lake rising 3ft since Memorial Day weekend.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57