Need help with catching walleye.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
When my brother and I go fishing for walleye, he usually out-fishes me 3 to 1. I try act like it's no big deal but it really bothers me. It's gotten to the point where I put on the same jig, move the jig like he does, and fish on the same side of the boat. Still, I get out-fished.

I'm thinking it's my fishing rod. The one I have is OK but apparently I need something better.

I'm going to Scheels. What kind of moderately priced rods would you guys recommend for jigging for walleye on the Missouri?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
you cant catch fish with out a g loomis....... i dont have any g loomis it has been damn near 6 months since i have caught a walleye

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, I sit in the front of the boat. He needs a btch to lift the trolling motor. Why do you ask?

Last edited:

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had this happen with different fishing partners. One day I read a Dan Nelson article that changed things. If your using same presentation and one guy is hammering them think about what else is different. Is your buddy positioned where his jig/lure is going over the fish first? If he is it's the first lure a hungry walleye sees. He's going to catch more fish. A good example would be when A buddy and I were drifting on Sak one spring. There is about a 400 yard stretch to where the walleyes were scattered on sandbars about 10 feet down. The wind picked up and he switched from a jig to a 1 ounce bottom bouncer and Gold spinner and hammered fish one after the other. At first I thought I needed to switch to what he was using But I thought of that article and put a heavier jig on with lite line so I could fish vertical right under the boat on the drift so my jig was was going over them first. Couldn't keep them off that jig. my buddy was scrambling around trying to figure out why his stuff quit working. I have seen the exact thing pulling crank baits. At first you think one guy has a better crank bait on, but sometimes and many times actually, it is the guys crank that's going through the fish first. I've seen this many times over the years. it works and can really piss off your fishing partners sometimes unless of course they have been short lining you all day. What kind of rod you use is less important than getting that jig in front of the fish first.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Scheel's Pro Angler rod. Medium Extra Fast 6' 8". It's around $40 and I think it works great

Pair it with a Pflueger President real and you're set

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Yes, I sit in the front of the boat. He needs a btch to lift the trolling motor. Why do you ask?

TMBS (trolling motor bitch syndrome) ... very common. The negativity of being the TMB has likely kicked your moral value right in the testes. Virtually impossible to come back from while out on the water. Hence, the poor fishing.

Guessing you also have NBS ... whole other ball of wax.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed with some of the suggestions other than fishing rod, but if you do want a new rod. The scheels brand, St. Croix and others all make pretty good rods. Even the $100 rods catch fish! Apparently the walleye don't know you aren't using a $600 loomis rod, crazy right? If are you looking for a jigging rod, I would look for something from 6'-6'6" medium light to medium with a fast to Xfast tip and lightweight. You will really see the benefit of a lightweight rod at the end of the day when you have been holding it for 8 hours.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you use mono or a super line like power pro?

I use cheap graphite med action stiff rods, like the berkely lightning or bionix rods with nanofil or powerpro line and a 2-3 foot fluorocarbon leader. The leader is for low line visibility. Mono has too much stretch so its like fishing with a bungee cord. Power pro has no stretch and is durable. Nanofil has no stretch, but less durable, however its very smooth so less friction on the guides so i can cast light baits much farther.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member

What fishmission said. Plus you're probably swinging all over the damn place while your buddy is contrilling the boat not only based on what is going on on the sonar but also based on where his line is and how best for the presentation in his hand. Sorry to say but that is usually the opposite of what makes your presentation work. fishing the "sameway" on opposite sides of the boat is pretty darn tough. Not saying its impossible to outfish the guy in the back but I'd say more often than not it isnt happening.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ill often pitch jigs in towards the shallows when fishing early on the river and other guys in the boat wanna fish straight down. Works a charm quite often, its amazing how many fish you can find in 2-4 feet of water when everyone else is fishing 8-12 feet deep.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the new rod doesn't improve your catching and if you are a sunblock user, make sure you wash you hands very well before touching your line and jig. I use dawn soap. There has been many times the only difference between myself and others in the boat has been the sunblock and keeping that crap off your bait. I have outlawed spray sunblock on the boat.

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
But do you still let people chew sunflower seeds?

Frowned upon, but if the individual is diligent about keeping a clean ship, it might be allowed. Unlike riverfibber, my bilge pump can't suck the meat off a chicken leg at 20 paces.

Last edited:

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's amazing sometimes how it can be something really small such as a different colored hook (same color jig), or different colored line, how you put the bait on the hook, scent on your hands, etc I've seen all of those things make a big difference in catching, or not catching, fish. I've seen someone borrow someone else the exact same lure and then all of a sudden that same lure that caught fish won't anymore. Feel free to use the rod as the excuse. Good reason to buy a nice, new rod #$%^&>

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67