Rifle Stock Modification Ideas?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Short version: I'm cheap and I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a heavy "precision" stock. I have a Remington 700 in a factory HS Precision composite stock. I plan on bedding the action, but I also want to modify the grip angle to get it closer to 90 degrees.

What's the best way to add material to make that grip angle steeper?
- Add multiple layers of bondo and sand it down?
- mix up sawdust with epoxy or some other type of resin and "form" a bulge, then sand down?
- Heat up a piece of kydex, form and screw it in to place somehow? (maybe mold the kydex, glue in place, bondo over it and sand down?)

IMG_3077.jpg

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
HS Precision composite stock.
You have a very nice stock. Don't screw it up. Trade someone for something you like. There should be people willing to buy a new less expensive stock that you like and trade you straight up.

If my Bell and Carlson Medalist was for a Remington and not a Savage I would trade you in a heartbeat. I paid $300 for it for my Savage.

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, I know the value of the stock I have. I also know that it weighs 8 to 32 ounces less then other available stocks I might replace it with. (I'm not going to spend the money for a Mcmillan.) There are a lot of HSP stocks floating around for Rem 700s. It's not exactly expensive or irreplaceable, about $150 on the used market. I'll let you know what I come up with.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Painters tape, the blue stuff and wide. Window foam and exato knife play with it until you get what you want for feel, then go from there. It will give some what of a pattern.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago they made an epoxy for bow grips. It was a thick epoxy that you mixed, then when it was the consistency of modelers clay you would wrap it around your bow handle and squeeze it to fit your hand. Then you simply set it aside to harden. Don't know who made it or if they still do make it. Sounds perfect for your job.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was picturing a rainbow and unicorn when I read the title... and lots of glitter

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77