Trail Camera Advice

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for some guidance on trail camera purchases for this upcoming year. Looking to get 4-6 if possible for use in various locations. Some locations will be public ground so I don't want them to be that high end. Just a decent camera that takes decent photos. Any thoughts/advice on which to go with? Reading reviews can drive you absolutely nuts, hard to believe what is said either way. Thanks!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just started running cameras last year. Most of mine go on public land. I pick up the wild game ones at Menards when they are on sale.
I think they take decent pictures. IMG_0331.jpg

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run 16 Moultrie cameras and they have been outstanding, the older black out M-80's are the best, the newer ones zoom in a little too much but both are no glow and take excellent pics. You can put a mountain of apples in a stubble field a mile from any bedding area and see every buck from a huge area. My best tactic so far has been to get pics at night and spot them from a long way off heading to the candy dish and intercept them while the soybeans are still green, good luck. They also run the entire year on one set of 8 Energizer lithiums, I run 8gb cards and they are usually full in a month with a 60 second delay.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks! After doing some research tonight I am leaning towards Moultries. A-5's can be had for a pretty good price these days.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother runs A-5s and is real happy with them. I'm currently running Browning with no complaints.

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have around 15 cameras that I use. About half of them are Moultire M80s that are my favorite cameras. 4 of them are Moultire A5s and I hate them. Battery life sucks compared to the rest of the cameras, plus the C batteries cost more than AA. They seem to be super touchy on the motion sensor and you get a lot of pics of grass blowing in the wind yet they somehow still seems to actually miss the deer when they come through. I'd gladly sell the 4 I have for a very low price.

BX2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep I agree with sluggin. The M80 880 990 series all work good for me. The a-5 will take 800 pics a day of absolutely nothing, yet miss the deer.I hate them. I have a couple I'll be reselling too. Going through 3000+ pics every week sucks

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the feedback! The M80's aren't really much more. I am glad someone mentioned the C batteries in the A5! Looks like the 1st generation was C and the 2nd is AA.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of my best deer hunting memories weren't aided by technology. Come to think of it, some of my favorite memories of fishing were without the latest and greatest technological help either.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep I agree with sluggin. The M80 880 990 series all work good for me. The a-5 will take 800 pics a day of absolutely nothing, yet miss the deer.I hate them. I have a couple I'll be reselling too. Going through 3000+ pics every week sucks

I take a weed eater and clean up in front of my cameras

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I second the wild game innovations, around 50 bucks and good picsIMG_1783.jpg

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some of my best deer hunting memories weren't aided by technology. Come to think of it, some of my favorite memories of fishing were without the latest and greatest technological help either.

Most of the cameras won't be used for direct hunting. We have property a long ways away and it is fun to see what is around. That said, it does add some fun and excitement to see a deer on camera you "may" have a shot at. Sure it may give a bit of an advantage but to me it's not about that. It's about that fun and anticipation of checking the camera.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run 4 moultrie m80s, 1 bushnell trophy cam, 1 browning strike force elite and picked up 2 of the spypoint solars over the winter so excited to try them out and see how they do. I have an older stealth cam and an A5 and don't care for either one of them so they don't go out unless I get in a pinch. The m80s like others have said have been my favorite and most reliable camera since new about 4-5 years ago. The browning/bushnell take awesome pics also but the m80s are my favorite cams I have. I also take the weed wacker after the area in front of my cameras also if needed to try and not get as many pics of moving grass and such.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I purchased a few Moultrie A5 as well. And half the time I look thru pics I think Stevie Wonder could draw better deer than what I see on the SD card

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since you asked for advise, here's one I have found to work. Face your camera North or South. If you face it east or west you can get some funky photos with the sun rising/setting

hoytslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like cuddebacks. if you watch for sales you can usually pick one up for under 100 bucks. have taken the best pictures for me and have the best battery life.

Trev

I'm a huge fan of the browning cameras. You can pick them up on sale quite a bit for under $100. I like them better than my moultrie m80s

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had good luck with covert. Great battery life and good pictures.

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
They sell a cuddyback at Scheels for about $100 that is really good. Has a faster trigger speed than the same-level moultrie. I think they also take better photos. I have both and prefer the cuddyback.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77