Gun barrel finishing options

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for the newest and best method for finishing a gun barrel. I need it to be a very durable coating that is resilient to the elements and resists rusting as well as can take some abuse from scratches, etc.

Whats the best methods? Who is a reputable smithy that can apply the finish? Thanks dudes.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
nodak arms in Surrey can do duracoat. I will me having a couple guns done there in the near future

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now that duracoat, is that for metal barrels or is it mainly for stocks, fore grips, etc?

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am a big fan of all stainless hunting guns. I have some blued varmint rifles which are not as prone to rust as I an not using them in harsh elements. Some of the coatings that are applied to rifles such as the junk that Remington puts on theirs can rust very easily.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you already own the rifle that needs coating or are you building something?

Pigsticker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I already own it. It is a ruger hawkeye that had the matte blue. I took it to Alaska in the harshest of climates, wet for ten days and it came out rust orange mostly. So I need it refinished

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You must've been spring bear hunting from a boat?

I'd be looking at Ceracoat, NP3, or a SS Winchester from the New Haven plant. SS Winchesters have been more rust resistant for me than SS Kimber, SS Remington's, or SS Rugers.

If you haven't yet, make sure you pull your rifle out of the stock. Likely that your magazine spring and your trigger are rustier than the outside of your rifle was.

Last edited:

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The M77 Mk II stainless steel rugers are about as rust resistant as they come. I put one in a case wet after a getting back to the truck and left it in the case for two weeks behind the seat The only rusted was the blued rings. Many of the guides in Alaska have Rugers because of the quality of the stainless and the dependability of cartridge feeding. I would see what MOA rifles puts on their rifles it seems like a good coating.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Ceracoated COlt 1911 and so far it's been a great finish.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88