Casting rod

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious as to what you use on your cranks or plastic pitching when using a baitcasting eq. Favorite length etc

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm not skilled enough to use a baitcaster..... it'd make a fool of me ;:;bowdown

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not extremely picky on brand, currently love my fenwick HMG, only real stipulation I have is it must be med light action, seems to cast great for me with light cranks

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not skilled enough to use a baitcaster..... it'd make a fool of me ;:;bowdown

ditto. Tried casting a baitcaster only a few times and after a good laugh, asked myself what the hell are those spinning models doing laying on the deck?? Those baitcasters are on my bottom bouncer rods, period. :)

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try a flippin' stick. They have a medium-soft tip with lots of backbone nearer the butt. I learned this from my BIL, back when he was fishing the PWT. Those bass guys know something most of us northerners don't appreciate.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
7' Light Temple Fork. 7' Light Kistler LTA, 7' Medium Kistler LTX, 7' Loomis Bronzeback Series, 7' Kistler LTA Med-Hvy for some of the bigger baits that dig deeper.

I hate a palm-swell when actually casting a bait caster but love them for trolling.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
6.6 hmg med. action soft tip. dont minded use them for bass once you adjust them for the lure you are using. spin reel is so much better.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
7'6" Loomis. I've tried a few but the Loomis loads really nice and helps in casting. With some others it feels like you have to throw the lure out there and put a lot more effort into the cast. The Loomis loads up really nice and helps in casting. Longer casts and less backlashes.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fenwick HMXSM-F66 which breaks down like this: HMX (model), S (Spinning), M-F (Medium Fast) 66 (6 feet, 6 inches)….and always get a one piece which will provide better sensitivity. I like 7 footers too but I lose accuracy when I get over 6.6 which can be an issue if you are casting at a target, might just be me though. Maybe I need more practice. This is a moderately priced rod.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just bought two 7'6" fate's from 13 fishing. Not sure if I'll cast with them but they feel nice.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fenwick HMG 7 '0" Medium Heavy. Not sure of the actual model number. Bought this rod for casting for pike from a boat. The extra backbone of the Medium Heavy is nice when, on the rare occasion that I'm paying attention, I get the time to try to keep the pike from darting into submerged timber.

For wading casting cranks, a 6'6" Medium light Loomis. I seem to have a little bit harder time casting the stiffer longer Fenwick in the dark.

Then again, I'm just very accustomed to the 6'6" Medium Light...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71