.270 Win Load Recommendations?

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ruger M77 Mark II, stainless, .270 Win, 22"? bbl, manufactured 2005.

Anyone have load recommendations for poking things at distance? Anybody know the twist for this rifle? I'm thinking 1:10". Also, it's a laminate wood stock that hugs the barrel. any reason to free float the barrel? Thanks.

Last edited:

Marksman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always shit 1inch groups. Filled it up with accurate arms 3100
shot the 150 gr. No signs of cratered or flattened primers

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Haven't done a lot of experimenting because I have had really good results with the very common 56.5gr of H4831SC and 130 gr. bullets. Have shot a lot of 130 Nosler Ballistic Tip as well as Accubonds. They do fine on deer size game, a little thin skinned for anything bigger I think. Have also shot elk with the 130gr Barnes TTSX with excellent results. I'm shooting out of a 24 inch barrel. Would love to have more deer so I could still get 4 or 5 licenses as I would really like to try the Barnes 110g TTSX on deer. You really don't learn the penetration and how a bullet reacts on animals without shooting a few. I do try and reload for accuracy first and velocity isn't very important for me if the bullet doesn't fly straight. Good luck, it will be interesting to read all the other comments. I can always learn more. I did try reloading with a hotter load of 4831 and couldn't keep very good groups as did lighter loads.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ruger M77 Mark II, stainless, .270 Win, 22"? bbl, manufactured 2005.

Anyone have load recommendations for poking things at distance? Anybody know the twist for this rifle? I'm thinking 1:10". Also, it's a laminate wood stock that hugs the barrel. any reason to free float the barrel? Thanks.

Always shit 1inch groups. Filled it up with accurate arms 3100
shot the 150 gr. No signs of cratered or flattened primers

I guess the first question is what do you "want to poke at a distance"? That would help determine what bullet weight and which type of bullet would be best for what you're doing.

I always shoot 40-60 rounds through a barrel before I decide on any work being needed on a gun. If you shoot 5 rounds through it fairly fast and get it good and warm does the 5th shot go close to the 1st or is it way off. If it's way off do it 2-3 more times then decide if it needs a little relief on one or the other side of the stock or too much pressure on the bottom of the barrel. Then you can do what ever is needed to help it shoot better.

A little more info would be helpful.

I'm not so sure the loading advice above is very helpful so follow it at your own risk.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got the same barrel but synthetic stock. Ramshot Hunter 56.5gr. and 130gr. TTSX is the best I've put together for the rifle. Of course I tend to work a little harder to find something that works with the TTSX because I'm a pretty firm believer in the bullet on big game.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO, you should almost always free float the barrel. There are two exceptions:
1. Full length bedding, which is a different conversation altogether.
2. It's a pretty gun that you don't want to risk damaging the "fit and finish", you shoot it rarely and don't mind shooting 1.5 MOA or more.

Also, 270 Win in a hunting-type rig is a 3-400 yard deer and sometimes elk gun. If you really want to "poke things at distance", there are better tools out there, and I'm fairly certain you already own some of them.

SprayNPray

Founding Member
Founding Member
somewhere between 55 and 59 of H4831SC cant remember today and is use 130 gr. nosler ballistic tip. Shot if for along time have had good luck with deer. Bumped up to a 150 accubond for elk worked pretty well only did it one year.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've got the same barrel but synthetic stock. Ramshot Hunter 56.5gr. and 130gr. TTSX is the best I've put together for the rifle. Of course I tend to work a little harder to find something that works with the TTSX because I'm a pretty firm believer in the bullet on big game.

I love the TTSX as well but do you find them a little slow expanding for lighter skinned animals like deer. That is one reason I would like to try the 110g on deer if I can ever get a tag. The 130g performed perfectly one a bull elk. entered one shoulder, came to rest next to skin in the far shoulder. Bled out and dead in less than 30 yds. Have wondered if on deer, it would exit before complete expansion.

Also agree with another who doesn't think the .270 is a long range gun. Agree with that when talking 8-1000 yds and quite possibly less but am very comfortable out to 5-600 on deer, less on elk size game as you do loose quite a bit of energy past the 4-500 mark. And energy is a big determining factor in penetration. Even the best bullet won't penetrate without energy to drive it. That and accuracy, where you hit an animal, as we all know, determines how long a tracking job we will have.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Therein lies my problem. Just about all of my hunting has involved deer and the 130gr. bullets work great for deer out of a .270. For that reason I'm interested in this this post so I can maybe learn from the experience of others.

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love the TTSX as well but do you find them a little slow expanding for lighter skinned animals like deer. ...

I shoot 130gr TTSX out of a .308, and dad out of a .270. With both deer and antelope, no issues at all from ranges from 50 yards to 300+. Each time a complete pass-through, but a golf ball or large sized hole going out. Everything I have shot has only moved straight down. Dad had a nice shot on an antelope a bit past 300yds and it stumbled 50 yards or so before crashing down....no doubt it was hit or if it was going down....just when.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
For years I used 130 gr in my 270. Then one year I wanted to stretch it a bit. So I used a load from the XXXXXX Manual with a 150 Berger VLD. Back when we could buy extra doe license I dropped a doe and her fawn at 825 yards and 865 yards. I'll take a pic with my phone and post the page with the load. I churned out 3070 fps with my 24 inch barrel. That's only 40 fps behind factory 150 gr 7mm mag.

Attachments

20170501_145345.jpg
Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
For years I used 130 gr in my 270. Then one year I wanted to stretch it a bit. So I used a load from the XXXXXX Manual with a 150 Berger VLD. Back when we could buy extra doe license I dropped a doe and her fawn at 825 yards and 865 yards. I'll take a pic with my phone and post the page with the load. I churned out 3070 fps with my 24 inch barrel. That's only 40 fps behind factory 150 gr 7mm mag.

This is what I was thinking. Not to oversimplify things, but a 150gr .270 has better BC than 155 Scenar in .308 with 20-30% more powder behind it. Why would .270 only be a <500 yd round? I've been told that if you have any wind, .308 is worthless beyond 600. Why couldn't .270 get you at least 800?

I've had this .270 for 12 years, haven't used it for at least 5. I'm not a good shooter now but I was much worse then. Only took it out one weekend a year and it did it's job. Was looking at it in the safe and thought, "I really need to use this guns." I will never part with it for sentimental reasons but I'm not opposed to modifications to make it a better rifle.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try them all and see which one your rifle likes. Start an Excel sheet. You can't shortcut the variables, gotta work them all out and document.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try them all and see which one your rifle likes. Start an Excel sheet. You can't shortcut the variables, gotta work them all out and document.

This^^

The more I read about guys trying different 270 loads, the more I discover that every rifle is different. I think I've got 4 different factory loads tucked away. I'll start with those.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
This^^

The more I read about guys trying different 270 loads, the more I discover that every rifle is different. I think I've got 4 different factory loads tucked away. I'll start with those.

Don't forget to document the lot number of the factory ammo in hopes of being able to get more of the same. Otherwise, it might be different and you'd have to start all over again.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I find this all very interesting but am beginning to think it might be easier to just sneak a couple hundred yards closer and use what I've been using all these years.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the advice fellas, not my thread, but shoot a M77 Mark II with 150 gr and have been looking at what to do to increase my distance for whitetail out to a longer range. Never poked at one more than 200, just not the environment I've ever hunted in, until hopefully this fall...

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find this all very interesting but am beginning to think it might be easier to just sneak a couple hundred yards closer and use what I've been using all these years.
Exactly:) Bow hunting spoiled me. For years I kept rifle hunting interesting by using different cartridges including the old 45/70. I was always trying something different to keep it interesting. My first long range I think was a little over 660 yards. Not much for range finders then, but I knew the one row belts were 220, 440, 660, and 880 yards. I was hooked. It will cause you to invest in VLD stems for your seating dies, and in some cases when the gunsmith finishes your custom rifle you will have him use the same chamber reamer to cut a chamber seating die for you.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy some IMR 4350 and stuff your brass behind a 130 grain partition. No excel sheets needed.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77