Hydrofoils - One brand better than another?

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Looking at putting a hydrofoil on my Yamaha 150. Looking at either a Bob's Machine Shop one or Cobra Edge pro. Have also seen permatrims that have gotten pretty decent reviews. Then there are the cheap-looking plastic ones they sell at Cabelas. Anyone have any thoughts on if one brand/design is better than another?

Bob's machine shop:
1478789761142-484062182.jpeg

Cobra Edge Pro:
5475197kthmb.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a cheap Cobra from Cabelas and it does what it is intended to do. Color matches my Yamaha.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've run the cobras, the SE Sport 300 and the Stingray Classic. They all have done about the same. The stingray offers more surface area away from the motor which helps a little more (i think), but the curve of the SE sport seemed to make it track better at higher speeds.

But, they all are better than no hydrofoil at all! Whatever you get will be better than nothing.

I had the cobra on a 1785 yarcraft with a 150 mariner. The SE 300 I had on the same boat with a 140 suzuki. I had a stingray on my old 16' starcraft DC with a 75 johnson (came with the boat), and i have a stingray now on my lund pro angler 16 (tiller) with a 75 merc 4 stroke.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been looking at the edges as well. I need something when there's more than one person in my boat

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah, I put nauticus smart tabs on, and that helped the proposing, but it needs a little more help at higher trim, so I figure I'll put the hydrofoil on, and dial back the smart tabs and use them to correct the list from the kicker.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the big white johnson doesn't seem to care how many people are in the boat

I guess their weight is trivial compared to all the BS I have stuffed into every compartment

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Edge, haven't tried the others but been pleased with mine, keeps me planed out at 15ish so everyone you pass is happy you slowed down til they rock in your 3' wake

dragoneyes

Honored Member
revolutionz- would recommend the Stainless steel Cobra Edge Pro series,i currently have it on my Yamaha 150 better hole shot and boat control.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been looking into a hydro foil but along my internet surfing I see a lot of guys say the way to go is smart tabs. Don't want to hijack the thread but do these do the same thing. Are they better?

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
The edge is the ticket. I can leave a community hole now without getting jigs tossed in my boat by my wake.lol
1860 sparkly ranger with 150 yammy and 9.9

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been looking at the edges as well. I need something when there's more than one person in my boat

i had a sea sport 2 or 3000 or something like that on a light bowed crestliner... moving a guy in front of the windshield did the same thing... wouldn't really matter in a tiller, i'd move someone up front and save the money for vittles and beverages...

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
I've been looking into a hydro foil but along my internet surfing I see a lot of guys say the way to go is smart tabs. Don't want to hijack the thread but do these do the same thing. Are they better?

I don't know about better...for me, they helped stop most of the porpoising until I trimmed too high, and if you have a list to either side you can correct that, like my lean to the left due to my kicker and battery both being on the port side of the boat. I think they kind of do a similar thing as hydrofoils, but from what I've ready foils and tabs complement eachother, and aren't really a "one or the other" thing as far as function.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you're thinking about one, and I was, Wade at Dakota Tackle has the Edge pro series for 99$. So there's that for you. Now to drill some holes tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

i had a sea sport 2 or 3000 or something like that on a light bowed crestliner... moving a guy in front of the windshield did the same thing... wouldn't really matter in a tiller, i'd move someone up front and save the money for vittles and beverages...

I feel like a chorus conductor when theres people in my boat. I'm always shifting them around for a better ride. But even with them up front, my tank ass and a full livewell will severely impact planing time. I've spent $100 on dumber things. Her name was Tiffany. Fell right in line with the crazy/hot scale.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've had a couple boats with a hydrofoil on them. As far as my opinion goes, they work wonders to get your ass up and out of the water. I have a 150 Yamaha now and should install one on there. I have a hard time drilling holes in my new motor so I've been putting it off. I do need to get one though and this thread is helping to push me to get it done.

Dirty,
There's a pretty good joke in there about Tiffany and hole shot!:;:cheers

Fish On!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had a Stingray and a SE 3000. IMHO, the Stingray helped the two boats I had them on considerably more than the SE 3000 has my current fishing boat, although it too has notably improved/removed handling issues.

Yeah, lots of people will tell you a boat is just not properly setup if you "need" a whale tail. I, on the other hand, would say that some boat/motor combos are just not properly setup unless they have one.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put this one on....Sport Marine SE-400.....nice part is no holes to drill...just remember to check bolts every so often...it helps a bunch to get on plane with 4 bodies on board. You can get them on Amazon from around $80 shipped.

http://sesport.com/Home.asp

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 99
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67