Carp spawn

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw the first groups this morning splashing around in some of the back water areas off the river. Another sure sign spring is giving way to summer.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the reports. Can't wait to get down there and let some arrows fly. Always good therapy while waiting for bow season.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I seen a guy yesterday with over 100 laid out on the bank. I wish I had taken a picture. I have never seen one guy kill that many. We were trying to fish walleye, but it was impossible to get your hook past the buffalo sucker. I landed eight on rod and reel. All bigger than I have ever shot with a bow before. Three fellows in their 20's were whacking them while I fished I left at noon. When I came back I see those fellows left all their fish on shore. The guy with all the fish got them all in the afternoon. He came prepared with big garbage cans in the back of his truck and a two wheel wheelbarrow to get them to his truck.

The buffalo sucker were stacked against an electronic barrier in a large concrete culvert.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice.....would definitely be nice to have a farmer who would let a guy pile them up to compost over the summer to get some seriously good garden soil for the next spring. First started seeing carp go shallow at the folks place two weeks ago but the water was so cold it would literally take them ten minutes to move twenty feet. Oh and saw a couple piles of fuzz balls following around mama goose as well so winter is definitely in the rear view mirror.....which is kinda obvious when the high is forecast to get near 90!:;:cheers

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone posted on FB theres a new state record buffalo taken last week, 57lbs I guess....

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Local guys annihilating the carp....

13173196_10154094635358503_6903662806519471441_o.jpg

Honored Member
Was out at Van Hook over the weekend. The carp were everywhere in the shallows. Wish I would've had a bow with.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

etoskunc

they are easy to pick off on warm days when the water is up in the spring. When its just warm enough you would consider wading it without chest waders on a sunny day. Then they will be out. Least thats what I go by in iowa.
The back waters are always a little warmer then the main channel

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74