public land back country archery elk hunt

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
So seeing as how i am still capable and willing to go on a backwoods archery elk hunt, i am putting some serious consideration into doing this in the 2018 fall, packing in small tents and some food for the better part of a week back off the beaten path away from the other guys out hunting elk in some beautiful country, i would like to get on some ground where our chances of success are somewhat decent and would like to go in sept during bugling season, have any of you guys done this type of back woods elk hunt do you have any areas or states that you would recommend i start looking into? any and all info would be great, i have done an archery hunt for elk a couple years ago and got close to sealing the deal, but this was right off he main paths, had to deal with other hunters and at most i was a mile from one of the trails. i also took horses out on an elk rifle hunt as a kid with my dad and lived out in the sticks in the snow and in a tent for almost a week so i have some knowledge on getting back and roughing it, but never with packing my own stuff in, so again any input would be awesome, thanks

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rokslide.com

We are staying for 6 days this year when we go to idaho going to be about 3 miles from a trail head. This is during rifle season. I will have a seek out side cimaron and a lite our doors stove for shelter. Eating mountain house and other foods and will filter water as there is plenty. Now run a kifaru pack and would get that stone glacier or exo or mystery ranch eberlestock are junk when hauling weight last year. If you go out to a otc unit and kill an elk the first time out in the area you will have accomplished something very special. I would say killing an elk with a rifle or bow in the back country is more of an accomplishment than the 160" whitetail i have on the wall. Good gear is expensive and not needed if you are willing to endure alot of suck and not be comfortable. Being comfortable will make hunting alot more enjoyable. Buy high quality and you will be set for a lifetime as i will guarantee when you go once you will be hooked and going again. I am addicted and cant wait for october 13 when i head west again it is not only the hunting but the adventure.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your greatest concern will be WATER. Packing in water.....sucks!!! Finding a place to camp that has a good water source will be paramount to a fun hunt. Gear, Food, and Location is another bunch of threads. Good Luck!!!

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've done this twice in 2 different areas in Colorado.
The first time I arrowed a satellite bull. The second time, my brother got one.
Neither one huge, but on a DIY backcountry archery hunt, anything is a trophy.
Our trip from last year was briefly documented here:
http://nodakangler.com/forums/showthread.php?7521-Elk-hunting-the-hard-way

Here are my tips:
Area: I think Colorado is your best bet. There's tons of public land, and more elk than any other state.

Gear: You want the good stuff, and planning exactly what you'll take up the mountain and how much it all weighs is key. You want to shoot for a pack that is less than 50# and has everything you need for 7+ days in the wilderness.

You: There's no such thing as being in too good of shape. You should start training now so that once the hunt rolls around it's just part of your lifestyle.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75