ND G&F preference/bonus points

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has this been discussed before? It appears in 2018 ND will allow just the purchase of the preference point without actually having to apply. I pulled the below from the Inforum article.

HB 1150: Allows a resident of North Dakota, who does not want to receive a hunting license issued by lottery, to purchase a bonus point for a fee that is the same as the respective license. Basically this means you will be able to check a box on the 2018 deer (or turkey or pronghorn) application that will say something like "purchase a bonus point," and then you'll have a bonus point added to your total. In the past, the only way to accumulate a bonus point was to not draw your first choice of license in the lottery.

Because most new state laws do not go into effect until Aug. 1, this option for purchasing a bonus point will not be a part of the 2017 deer gun license application process.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you get a discount if you purchase 10 bonus points at a time? Seems like BS to me. I think you should have to apply, but once you have bonus points you should keep them until you draw, even if you dont apply for a year or two.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you get a discount if you purchase 10 bonus points at a time? Seems like BS to me. I think you should have to apply, but once you have bonus points you should keep them until you draw, even if you dont apply for a year or two.

Couldn't you just continue to apply for bonus points in those years you don't want the tag...? Besides, all bonus points carry over for a period of 1 year anyway. And I'm pretty sure they're not goin to allow anyone to receive more than 1 bonus point / year, wouldn't u think?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think this just basically gives you the option to buy a point without being in the drawing in case you don't actually want to hunt that year(life events). They wont let you buy more than one per year.

Last edited:

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
What I find odd is that if I apply and get denied I get the point and my money back. This article says if you buy the point, you have to pay the application fee ($30). That's a pretty steep price for a preference point.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What I find odd is that if I apply and get denied I get the point and my money back. This article says if you buy the point, you have to pay the application fee ($30). That's a pretty steep price for a preference point.

I bet most people donate their app fee to the plots program anyway.

I dont see this changing much of anything, and i actually really like the idea. long over due. every other "western" state has had this for a long time.

fnznfwl

Founding Member
Founding Member

then keep applying and dont buy a point. I think $30 is pretty damn cheap way of keeping my place in the line if I cant hunt a particular season for whatever reason.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
then keep applying and dont buy a point. I think $30 is pretty damn cheap way of keeping my place in the line if I cant hunt a particular season for whatever reason.

I too think it's a great idea. Glad to see the G&F come up with a great option for those who've had something happen in their life that won't allow them to hunt. G&F gets some money for their work, person get's a chance to keep their prior points or at least one for that year, and the rest of us who apply get a chance at that license this person is passing on that year. Win-Win for all.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is nothing new western states have been doing it for years. Sodak it is 10 to buy a preference point for elk since i already have trips planned it is nice buying the point with out having the worst case of drawing and then not taking full advantage of a great tag. It helps people plan is the simple answer

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
No! I hate it! Change is bad! Everything is rigged and I'm furious! Oh wait. We're just joining the rest of the west finally. I for one applaud this move

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zebra mussels are the issue at hand here. Even nd winters won't kill em.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member

Lycan is there anything that the game and fish does that you don't complain about? If I come across a year that I can't make it out deer hunting. I'm going to use this feature even if it cost 30$.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I buy what ever it takes to get my muley. I finally got the persons name that Tim S. sends his extra fifty too. Finally a muley this fall :;:cheers

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
overall I like the move. anyone who hunts western states knows its been an option for years. its very nice to be able to "plan hunts" in multiple states and have general ideas when your gonna draw.

to say that it wont change anything is a bit false IMO
anyone who hunts Wyoming can testify to that. the "point creep" as it is called has put "draw odds" in many trophy units 10+ years and draw statictics vary from year to year depending on moisture that one year take 5 pts next year take 11 so a good reliable draw statistics just are not as accurate anymore. overall I applaud the move as well but I do feel you will begin to see this point creep happen like other western states. I'm just glad I have points in multiple states for multiple species thati should be hunting every year

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan is there anything that the game and fish does that you don't complain about? If I come across a year that I can't make it out deer hunting. I'm going to use this feature even if it cost 30$.

Definitely, anything that lowers costs to customers, increases access for sportsmen or eases restrictions that are unnecessary is great. Its great that they increased the pike limit to 5 from 3 a few years ago for example... WTG G&F!!! Would love them to consider allowing people to use nets to catch smelt, casting or seining... Also would be great if they would allow people to use live smelt as bait on the big lakes and MR system.

Last edited:

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
overall I like the move. anyone who hunts western states knows its been an option for years. its very nice to be able to "plan hunts" in multiple states and have general ideas when your gonna draw.

to say that it wont change anything is a bit false IMO
anyone who hunts Wyoming can testify to that. the "point creep" as it is called has put "draw odds" in many trophy units 10+ years and draw statictics vary from year to year depending on moisture that one year take 5 pts next year take 11 so a good reliable draw statistics just are not as accurate anymore. overall I applaud the move as well but I do feel you will begin to see this point creep happen like other western states. I'm just glad I have points in multiple states for multiple species thati should be hunting every year

Point creep was a concern of mine at first too, but ND doesn't offer nearly as many non-resident tags as the western states do. The non-resident applicants will see a ton of point creep though.

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Point creep was a concern of mine at first too, but ND doesn't offer nearly as many non-resident tags as the western states do. The non-resident applicants will see a ton of point creep though.

It doesn't appear to apply to non-residents . . . "HB 1150: Allows a resident of North Dakota . . "

Also, with how few ND non-resident tags there are available to the average hunter (i.e. not a landowner or outfitter), it wouldn't matter, as there are tons of people with an insane amount of points.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Definitely, anything that lowers costs to customers, increases access for sportsmen or eases restrictions that are unnecessary is great. Its great that they increased the pike limit to 5 from 3 a few years ago for example... WTG G&F!!! Would love them to consider allowing people to use nets to catch smelt, casting or seining... Also would be great if they would allow people to use live smelt as bait on the big lakes and MR system.

So you want something for nothing? shocker

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
the only negative that I do not care for is like I said they ( some western states) do not have a very good idea on draw stats from year to year. so many people sit out of draws and wait for the mild winter, good spring moisture and boom they use there max points.
for instance western Wyoming has suffered one of the worst winters in years and deer and antelope winterkill is extreme to very severe in many of the trophy units. many of these max point holders will sit out the draw and buy points this year. if I was a betting man you could draw some tough Wyoming deer and antelope units this year with less points than normal. however when the herd starts trending in a positive direction the points needed to draw will sky rocket again creating confusion on how many points is really needed.

again you guys are right we don't have the NR, trophy units like some other states so may not affect us as much

- - - Updated - - -

of course if Wyoming cuts tag numbers which sound likely it still may require lots of points to draw......haha I'm throwing my name in anyhow cant kill a buck if you sit out!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80