Boat Convertible Top Install Question

defiant1

Honored Member
I got a good deal on a convertible top from a member of this site (thanks Doug). I am in the process of installing it and am wondering how tight the canvas portion should be above the windshield. After I installed it, the top portion (roof) of the convertible top is very tight but the front portion,above the windshield, is a little loose (sags slightly).

I am out of adjustment with the frame rods, so before I move the mounting track and frame forward, I was looking for some practical advice and experience.

I have never had a convertible top for any of my boats before, so I do not have any frame of reference.

d1

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure how your framework is set up or if it's anything like mine but I have straps between the cross bows for adjustment.
I keep mine so tight that is sounds like a drum when I tap on the canvas. If you need to move your brackets Keep in mind your canvas will stretch quite a bit .

Last edited:

defiant1

Honored Member
Not sure how your framework is set up or if it's anything like mine but I have straps between the cross bows for adjustment.
I keep mine so tight that is sounds like a drum when I tap on the canvas. If you need to move your brackets Keep in mind your canvas will stretch quite a bit .

I do have straps that connect the cross bows (front to back). Those have been adjusted and do not impact the front portion enough to get it tight. The front cross bow seemingly is not pushing into the front panel enough to get it tighter.

defiant1

Honored Member
Well, it looks like I would have to raise (at least an 1.5") the mounting point of the convertible top frame in order to tighten up the front panel. That would require me to top mount the track on the gunnel and since I am not adding any more objects to the gunnel I will have to live with what I got.
To be fair, the convertible top was custom made for another boat, so it is not totally unexpected, but I was hoping it would fit a little better.

d1

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86