UTV / Side by Side

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am thinking about getting a used UTV. What should a guy stay away from as far as models with major problems? I know I would want a box, atleast a soft cab kit, atleast 700cc. I have heard that artic cats aren't that great so I am thinking Honda Pioneer or Polaris Ranger. Opinions?

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
If Honda side by sides are as bulletproof as their four wheelers I'd go Honda.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spent 3 years looking at ATV's and SXS's and it all came down to personal preferences for me. Cab style, Size, Arrangement, Accessories, Engine, Clearance, etc. etc. etc. My advice is to BE REALISTIC. Identify exactly what you NEED based on what you are actually going to use it for and how often you will use it. I've seen guys by the biggest and best with the most bells and whistles, only to let it sit in the shed while they pay the interest on the loan. At the end I couldn't justify the price tag for what I would get with a SXS and the search gave me migraines with all the options. I went with an ATV with tracks as that set up gave me the most versatility and usage though out the year. Good Luck!! Hope you find what you want!!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still to this day dream of when I can justify a Honda Pioneer or a Can Am Commander, the two I like best. I have looked at a lot of the Pioneers and some of them have a ridiculous amount of bells and whistles that just drive the price up even worse, I'm sure others are that way as well.
As stated above identify what you NEED, build from there, look at as many types as possible. I am a Honda fan for the most part and have always had good luck with their ATV's, I like their fold up seat options, feel comfortable, good box space, good reliability ratings, drove a 700 with tracks (no power steering) and liked the way it handled and the soft cab was ok on it.
Just another thought would be a 4 wheeler with a box, Artic Cat has one that looks good and have used a Ranger with one that was handy and comfortable, but the prices on them start creeping to SXS.
Good luck.

Nmariner

Established Member
I have a 2015 Pioneer 700. Love the 4 wheel drive able to lock all 4 in. I hate the transmission, you set there floored and it takes 3-4 seconds to grab the next gear. I also could never see my 700 turning tracks that well as it is a little under powered. Not a fan of the Polaris 4 wheel drive as the back tires need to lose traction for the front tires to kick in and grab. Which really sucks if its slippery out trying to go up or down hills. I would recommend the commander or a Kawasaki Mule. The new mules are still a little big size wize but ride great have plenty of power and have really cool bells and whistles. They are priced about the same as the Pioneers too. The only reason I bought the pioneer is because I got a steal on a used one. Hope this helps

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 08 arctic cat 700 atv. Been great. Love plowing snow with it and put the sprayer on back for weeds in spring/summer. But early this spring I picked up a 2010 Polaris ranger 800...and wow how much we use That! Pretty much daily. Yard work, feeding/watering animals, cruising and this fall hunting. Wish I had one years ago. Much prefer it over atv. Kids and i just went for a ride tonight in fact. Having the dump box kicks ass as well. Can just back up to pit and lift handle. Would highly recommend to anyone...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2013 Pioneer. Awesomely dependable, not very sexy though.

There are three things I don't like about my Pioneer.
1. If you're a bigger guy, it's a little tight getting in behind the wheel.
2. The older Pioneers are locked axles. Tough on the grass when offroad, tough on the tires when on asphalt.
3. I have the 700 version. Not the most power in the 700 offerings. It gets the job done for sure, but if I was to pull a lot, I would go bigger in the engine category.

I believe the newer Pioneers have fixed numbers 2 and 3. Couldn't tell ya for sure though as I haven't been back to the dealer but once since I bought this one.

Livetohuntandfish

Established Member
Check out the John Deere gators. I've got over 10,000 miles on mine and runs like a champ. I've got the glass cab... in my opinion they are worthless without a cab. This one gets used about everyday, even at -30 I can sit in a sweatshirt and stay warm with the heater. The biggest difference I see between the gator and all others is the cab won't get dusty on the gator

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77