Homemade smoker help

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking for help to put together the heating portion of a smoker. My initial thought is propane as my heat source, but I open to ideas. I want an electric thermostat to regulate the heat. I need to figure out how to properly vent the unit, the best location for the heat source (assuming in the center) and if I need a some sort of heat deflection plate around the burner to heat evenly without creating hotspots or unwanted direct heat causing uneven results. I'm guessing I don't need to exceed 250 Fahrenheit for max temp but I am again open to ideas. I want I design something that will work headache free. I don't know what brands to use or where to find what I need. Any help or ideas is appreciated. Thanks in advance

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
we just have a good sized hot plate at the bottom of ours that is regulated by a thermostat. we have the thermostat towards the top of the smoker and the control mounted on the outside. the chips go in a cast iron skillet that sits on the hot plate.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an old refrigerator I converted into a smokehouse, and also use a electric hot plate. Built a metal table to clear the hotplate bay a inch or so and put chips on table to smoke. I can do 70-100 lbs and my temps don't get much over 160-180 deg. I mainly do country style sausage in this and smoke at lower temps for longer periods of time. I helped a friend build a smoke house and he went propane and used this burner from Northern Tool 330973_2000x2000.jpgHe could get a lot warmer in smoking temp, but had to figure vent areas due to the way we built it was to air tight to continue burning due to lack of O2. Regulating temp without buying a element for that is designed to do just that is tough to do. My dad is tinkering with old stove burners with controls outside of smoke house to be able to regulate the heat, to be seen if this will work. The size of your smokehouse is a big part of the puzzle of what to use to heat and how to control it. dukgnfsn

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tagging for guywhohotboxes to chime in.

I use a weenie 4 rack Bradley. I am not even in the 'real smoker' category so I'm not much help.

That said - if I was to build one I'd google the heck out of it. My gut tells me I'd go electric pan and buy a good temp controller. Babysitting temps seems dumb to me this day/age when there are other things to be doing while in the act of smoking stuff.

And if you could find a way to circulate the interior air for even temps/smoke (so a guy never ever has to shuffle meat) you'd have her by the short ribs.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have:
1. 4' width 5' height 30" deep

2. 26" width 5' height and 30" deep.

- - - Updated - - -

I use a weenie 4 rack Bradley. I am not even in the 'real smoker' category so I'm not much help.

That said - if I was to build one I'd google the heck out of it. My gut tells me I'd go electric pan and buy a good temp controller. Babysitting temps seems dumb to me this day/age when there are other things to be doing while in the act of smoking stuff.

And if you could find a way to circulate the interior air for even temps/smoke (so a guy never ever has to shuffle meat) you'd have her by the short ribs.

Yep, I'm trying to measure twice cut once. I have zero issue going electric. I have a 40" master built electric. It struggles a bit during the winter months. I want a hassle free system like you mentioned.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't forget the one benefit to smoking needing watching; allows for a few more beers. That alone increases the fun of smoking all the different meats.

Dating myself but I wonder if there are any old coal stokers around. Had one when I was growing up and it was somehow operated with a thermostat. Wouldn't that be a fun way to feed charcoal and ships. Anyone ever tried it?

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I second to the above post for smokingmeat forums.Com a wealth of knowledge on that site. I built an electric smoker out of an old freezer years back. Still works great. But if I were to do it again I would go propane. They make kits to control the temp easy with propane. Pretty much just like a damn oven.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I second to the above post for smokingmeat forums.Com a wealth of knowledge on that site. I built an electric smoker out of an old freezer years back. Still works great. But if I were to do it again I would go propane. They make kits to control the temp easy with propane. Pretty much just like a damn oven.

Where are these kits you speak of?

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to smokingmeatforums.Com there is lots of info and breakdowns of what people have used. I believe there are some manufacturers that have put "kits" together for these applications. They still require a power source for control purposes. They make 120v options and I believe a 12v option also. There is also a type of fan that generates voltage using heat...which is used for control power. It's crazy the kind of shit some of these smoked crazed people (not hippie smoke either) come up with!

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have spent many hours just browsing smokingmeats forums, and it is tons of info and ideas. Like justwingit said it is amazing what people have come up with and I often wonder how many adult beverages help spawn their ingenuity.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wish I knew how to post pics. I have made several smokers from freezers/fridges in my lifetime and all worked to different degrees. I finally stumbled upon a dysfunctional stainless steel food warmer with dutch doors usually used by hospitals, senior homes, jails, etc. I put in a chimney, and a vent in the bottom door using a stainless vent normally used on horse trailers. I used the burners from an old coleman stove that I bolted to the floor front to back and built a structure over the back burner to hold the chip pan. The front burner can be lit if more heat is needed but I seldom use it. The gas control is mounted outside and worked very well. All kinds of racks. Stuck a thermometer threw the top door

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75